mouth ulcers?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I find warm salt water (spit out) to be soothing for any sore in the mouth. It inhibits bacteria.
L-lysine tablets for this help my daughter.

Spencer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcer..

*Eat raw salad with lot of onions. Onions have sulfur which imparts them with healing properties when it comes to treating mouth ulcers.
*Include cottage cheese, yogurt, and buttermilk in your daily diet at least for a week.
*Use toothpaste containing sodium bicarbonate instead of using standard toothpastes that contain fluoride.
*Boil two to three cups of water and add fenugreek leave in it. Allow the mixture to cool and strain it. Gargle with this water twice a day. This is the one of the best home remedies for healing mouth ulcers.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Lori-How are you doing with your G-free diet?

I have dealt with them (and tongue sores) since I can remember even when I was in school...I remember weeks where I would have so many in my mouth I wouldn't go to school, etc. My mouth hurt so bad. Even on my wedding day. :(

I have tried many, many things...not eating citrus, L-Lysine, changing toothpaste, peroxide rinses, baking soda rinses, holding an aspirin on them, using those little canker sore dissolving things (bleh)...None of them ever worked.

The only thing that works to rid me of them is a Gluten-Free diet (no cheating!). I don't remember more than 1 week in my life where I didn't have a canker sore. It was awful. Now that I am G-free...I don't get them. (Only when I get contaminated...in fact it is almost always my first symptom that I got contaminated, so I try really hard to stay far away from everything that could possibly even think about containing it. It is usually only when I travel to my M-I-L's house) It is so awesome being able to brush my teeth, talk, sleep, drink, open my mouth, etc. without pain. :)

Canker sores are different from tongue sores (although canker sores can appear on the tongue). Cold sores are also different from canker sores.

~Canker sores are little ulcers inside the mouth, where saliva is. It starts with a sore spot, then it will turn into an open white or yellow sore, usually circular with redness around the ulcer.

~Tongue sores appear on the sides of the tongue and are usually vertical lesions. This is a sign of Liver stress. (Celiac is very hard on one's liver!) They swell up, so you will also bite them with your chompers...ow!

~Cold sores are from the herpes virus, and it appears on the external part of the mouth, not usually inside the mouth, where saliva is. It is more common for someone who sleeps with their mouth open to get a cold sore on the inside because the tissue gets dried out.

Also, another thing I have noticed...I have/had a wart on my forearm...(my husband does/did also) and now that I am g-free (he is mostly g-free), they both have disappeared. :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm trying....thanks!

I have a bit of a sore on my tongue, on the underside. Makes it hard to talk. Of course, we went to story time yesterday and got a whole new bag of library books and my kids want me to read all day :rolleyes:. I feel like I have a marble in my mouth. It keeps hitting my teeth.

I have only been GF for a couple of weeks and honestly, I've been slipping. :hide I did make GF pancakes this morning and they were really good. I used buckwheat flour and brown rice flour. I also threw in a banana and some chocolate chips. I used 3 duck eggs and folded in the whipped egg whites from them last and they turned out really light and fluffy.

I ate chinese the other night and ordered something new and didn't realize it was battered and fried and got really sick. Now I have the sore on my tongue. I dunno.

My mom swears by the l-lysine but that is after the fact. I started getting mouth ulcers when I got braces in the 7th grade and they never went away...seems like I always kept getting them. They aren't as bad now but I still get them occasionally. Maybe this will be one more thing I won't have to deal with after I get GF. :fl

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Biotene. They gave it to me (in both toothpaste and mouthwash form) when I was doing chemotherapy. Chemo causes major mouth sores! I felt like my mouth was shredded. Biotene helped me hugely. The toothpaste doesn't foam at all, and there's no alcohol in the mouthwash. It's very gentle.

Spencer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Mouth or oral ulcer is a very common phenomenon. It is described as an open sore that appears inside the mouth. It is different from cold sores that occur due to a viral infection. Mouth ulcers are very painful and bring about much discomfort.Home remedies are..

*Keep 1 glass of chilled water and 1 glass of hot water ready at hand. Gargle alternately with hot and cold water.
*Mix 7 parts of sugar candy (mishri) with 1 part of camphor. Apply on the blister.
*Boil 2 cups of water. Add 1 cup fenugreek leaves and remove. Cover and keep for sometime. Strain the water and gargle 2-3 times a day. For more read.. Red Spots On Tongue

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
gonna swish with salt water in a little while....my tongue is killing me. It feels like I'm constantly gnawing on the side of my tongue and when I talk it sounds like my mouth is full of marbles. The sore is clearly scraping against my back teeth when my tongue moves and it is excruciating.