Moved away from Mainstream (medicine)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Now I guess this post could cause some heated reply's.

Anyone not Vaccinate their children?

My children are 9 and almost 5, they have not been vaccinated, not been on antibitics or anything like that. (nothing stronger than a pain killer - and only my son (9yr) has had those)

My son is 9 - he's been to a medical doctor twice, once at 2 weeks and once at 2 years old.

My daughter almost 5, was born at home, and has never seen a medical doctor.

:D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Are you going to homeschool? If you can get by with it without running afoul of the law, I think its wonderful. I'm not against basic vaccinations that they started out with, but I feel its gotten way out of hand over the years. Too many vaccinations, too many antibiotics, too many doctors making too many "educated" decisions about one's health that result in longterm problems.

I would say you may catch flak about this, but, from a nursing standpoint, I applaud your stand against putting your children's lives in the government's hands.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
When we were in california we filed exemtion paperwork, ca is pretty easy going.
We do have to remove the kids for any breakouts.. (why if everyone else is protected by the vaccination? ODD)

Anyway in Nebraska I took Religious exemption.

I was getting ready to home school in case there was an issue, but my son has been in school here over a year and no problems. He had perfect attendance last year.

I get upset when folks try TELL me what to do, more upset when its to do with the health of my kids.

It was odd, my decision not to vaccinate, it was really SUDDEN, I got scared when my son was born - and started to look into it.

My husbands family is FULL of immune system weakness - allergies etc... my kids have not ONE, no breathing problems, no allergies - they're very seldom sick at all.

My daughter being born at home I was worried about germs and such, my midwife said not to worry- she'll have to live in the house anyway..... I didn't use any bleach or anything like that - even the cat was on the bed when she was born. She is NEVER sick. Her immune system is even stronger than her brothers.

I don't believe in running to the doctor for everything - hence no visits in the last 7 years. I don't take them to the dentist either. I believe in basic hygiene - not globs of chemicals and junk. My kids teeth are fine!!! My daughter has staining on one front but otherwise FINE! No need for someone to poke around with a metal HOOK and tell me they need FLORIDE!

(sorry if I get excited, I'm kinda HARD CORE when medicine comes up - LOL)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry about hostility on this subject on THIS forum--it's about self-sufficiency after all :)

I have vaccinated my kids but wish I had been thinking more carefully about this issue when they were younger. Most of my friends and some family do not or choose to for only a targeted few diseases.

Like beekissed, I think it has gotten out of control. I work in the western medical structure, but I have a very healthy skepticism about their methods. I believe a huge part of vaccinating is about drug companies making big bucks off mandatory vaccinations!

I seriously look at fruits, veggies, whole foods and lots of fresh air and exercise as the only medicine a body needs most of the time.

OTOH, many horrid diseases have been brought under control through vaccination. I just don't think every single disease that has a vaccination for it needs a widespread vaccination for it.

I hate drugs, antibiotics and other stuff, too. The side effects can be crazy! I don't understand this American obsession with treating every single little symptom even if the treatment causes worse problems than it was intended to treat! So, in our house, we use lots of rest, good food, water, some essential oils and time to let the body heal itself.

So, count 2 in your camp :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D Believe it or not I work for a medical company as well - Nuclear Medicine to be exact - but I'm in finance, not in the day to day stuff.

I really think a lot of these illnesses could have been taken care of by learning to WASH HANDS. How many of the plagues of yesteryear, were because the dang DOCTOR didn't wash his hands between seeing sick people!!!

I think of all the vaccines out there, the ONLY one that still makes me a touch nervous is POLIO - which has not been seen in 20 or 30 years in its natural form - all cases seen in recent years are caused BY the vaccine.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My kids had a thier vaccinations until about age 5. Then I started learning a little more about the whole deal and got an exemption for them. Especially when they started with the second measles vaccine...measles is actually really rare here, why they had to vaccinate everyone for it I have no idea...and then the hepatitis vaccine in grade 7...and now it's HPV and the list goes on. The vaccine commercials are what gets me...they are really targeting our kids to think that if they don't get this or that vaccination their lives are at risk! Gimme a break!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Speaking of commercials - does anyone else get a chuckle when they list the side effects?

Cracks me up everytime, a pill for one tiny thing, has a list of side effects a mile long that are worse than the thing being treated.... obviously not everyone suffers from the side effects, but its still really CRAZY.

99% of the drugs out there are treating symptoms, causing others, and nobody cares to figure out the CAUSE!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Both my kids are vaccinated. Mississippi doesn't have a religious or philosophical exemption, just medical exemption. Both boys had medical expemptions for a while (for seizure disorders), but had to end up getting them.

What this means is that without a doctor's excuse, if you don't get your shots you can't go to school or daycare or college or nursing school...

My older son only got the DT when everyone else was getting the DPT as a child. He never got a pertussis shot because of something in it. Then, when he was getting ready to go to college and had to get vax'd again, I told him to get the pertussis shot because there was actually a case of whooping cough in our neighborhood.

My younger son got his infant vaccinations, then had seizures and his neurologist wrote an exemption against him getting any more for the time being. But he got to be fine (infants having seizures that turn out to be nothing runs in my family). I got ready to go back to work when he was 11 months old. None of the doctors would write him an exemption. They told me either you get his vaccinations, or you don't put him in daycare. They actually used the argument that it wouldn't be safe for him to go to daycare without his vaccinations.

So, I caved. They actually gave him his "six year old" shots when he was 4. I don't know why. I asked them if that was really necessary since he wasn't going to be going to kindergarten for 2 more years and they said it's customary for them to give those shots at 4 now... ?!?!

WAY overboard.

Just out of curiosity, how do y'all feel about adults having to get vaccinated to go out of the country and stuff?? (I have never been)

Cassandra

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My kids are vaccinated, and I'd do it again if I had to. Infact, my son is in grade 7, and they get free HepB and meningitis vaccines this year--I signed him up for them, too.

But that being said, it's a personal choice, and I just chose to have my kids vaccinated.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Just out of curiosity, how do y'all feel about adults having to get vaccinated to go out of the country and stuff?? (I have never been)

Cassandra
I go back and forth to Africa - every few years, I never get shots - I guess it depends where you're going, but I would still skip them - if I was super worried about anything - I'd skip the TRIP!