Moved away from Mainstream (medicine)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have to stay out of this, I am biting my tounge :he because I would have wayyyy to much to say :rant... and everyone knows this topic makes me crazy.
I understand that people feel strongly on both sides but :barnie

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I have to stay out of this, I am biting my tounge :he because I would have wayyyy to much to say :rant...
I understand that people feel strongly on both sides but :barnie
DITTO
DITTO
DITTO :eek:

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have my kids vaccinated but I certainly understand why someone might choose not to.

Everyone does their own risk/benefit analysis and one size does not fit all. Our state allows a "religious" exemption and I know a lot of parents choose not to vaccinate.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Most of the deaths from Measles etc.. are from other complications, or due to a weakened immune system (why?) As lots of folks with AIDS, don't DIE of aids, they die of the flu or something else.
I don't want to get into this bigtime, but you've made my point here. People die from measles if they have a weakened immune system, as from AIDS, severe pneumonia, or other immune disorders. And how do those people with AIDS and pneumonia get the measles that kill them? It's passed on by unvaccinated people.

Sorry. I should extract myself from this conversation as others before me (and smarter than me) have done. I don't at all want to get arguing about this, and I know myself well enough to know I can get all mad about this kind of thing. Let's agree to be friendly, and perhaps I'm done now. Thanks.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
....I am old enough to remember numbers of kids-2 and 4 years old dragging around with heavy braces on their legs from polio and seeing people living in iron lungs, their whole world confined to what they could see in a mirror. ..... I remember diptheria, whooping cough, measles and other epidemics that killed numbers of babies and small children every year around this country. I remember pictures of the "Sad Mother sitting next to the Hospital bed" every year in the newspapers.
I think enjoy the ride and I must be near the same age, as we have some of the same memories.

I lost a friend to scarlet fever and had a friend fitted with leg braces because of polio. I brought home (from school) the German measles, measles and chicken pox to share with my siblings.

For these reasons, we had our kids vaccinated. But I also know a person who did not start having epileptic seizures until after he got his required-for-kindergarten vaccinations.

Our dd is a home-birthing, home-schooling mama who has not had our 3 grands vaccinated. Our dgd was born with Turners Syndrome 10 1/2 years ago, so we feel she has enough on her plate without any possible complications from vaccinations.

I agree that some diseases are less well known now because others were vaccinated. But I don't think drug companies and/or doctors were spreading much (for lack of a better word) propaganda about vaccinations and diseases when I was growing up or raising my children.

Without starting a huge debate... I will say, I think as a society we have a lot to answer for when we let the drug makers and celebrities tell us what to do and how to raise our families.

Everyone needs to research the issue, pray, and make the decision they can live with.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, hot topic! The health of kids and choices about these always are.

All my kids are vaccinated but, at the time, if I knew what I know now, I would not have allowed most of them. Polio, yes. Maybe measles. Not much else, though. Having been a nurse for 15 years now, I've seen more than I ever wanted to see about what happens when the medical profession and the government meddle in people's lives and their health. The stories I could tell... :(

Good rule of thumb that I should have followed way back when....don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see! ;) Also...any document issued from any government office cannot be believed under any circumstance! I used to work for the government for 3 years also! :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yeah--nothing like working in an industry to see its less-lovely side :rolleyes:

Western medicine, IMO, seems to be great at detection, atrocious at prevention and not great at all in discussing alternative ways of treating things. Of course, vaccines are supposed to be prevention. I would like to see a LOT more research into their side effects.

I've had my life saved twice by Western medicine, so I honor it for that. But, once I use it to do checkups on things I can't check myself (like cholesterol, BP), then I say goodbye and go off on my own merry way to find ways to take care of myself.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...wn-vaccine-conspiracy-theories.aspx?source=nl

Long article but very informative
Did you know that autism in the early 80's was 1 in 10,000 births...in 2001 it was 1 in 500, oh and it gets better...2005 it was 1 in just 250 births. Today it is 1 in 150
One of the strongest links was a change in the vaccine programs
In 1976 children recieved 10 vaccines before attending school. Today they will recieve 36.

I gotta ask myself how many children suffered lifelong effects back in the seventies from diseases like chicken pox and measles...was it 1 in 150?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...wn-vaccine-conspiracy-theories.aspx?source=nl

Long article but very informative
Did you know that autism in the early 80's was 1 in 10,000 births...in 2001 it was 1 in 500, oh and it gets better...2005 it was 1 in just 250 births. Today it is 1 in 150
One of the strongest links was a change in the vaccine programs
In 1976 children recieved 10 vaccines before attending school. Today they will recieve 36.

I gotta ask myself how many children suffered lifelong effects back in the seventies from diseases like chicken pox and measles...was it 1 in 150?
Well said, indeed! :woot Now, I'm gonna sit back and watch the show.... :pop Ann? Got that club? :D