Much ado about nothing! WOOT!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Its a rainy day today, so that means staying inside. I was watching the weather yesterday, and made sure I had everything done so I could be lazy today! The only thing I need to do is patch a quilt for a friend, and I can sit on the couch with my needle and thread and do it! I may catch up on some reading, or nap, or sit here on SS, or....WHATEVER!!! lol

I could make bread, I could bake some things, but eh, I want to do....NOTHING!!! :weee :caf

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NOTHING!
Doing nothing is great some days. I just do a little "less"---but I wish there were days I could not nothing, absolutely nothing, but with animals, we all know that isn't true..HA HA

I am kinda in that nothing mood today, so will do less today. Misty, rainy, cloudy outside from that hurricane I guess. So weather should be rain this afternoon which means feeding critters before the rain today..HA HA

Nothing, such a nice word sometimes!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Hey girl, hope you're doin ok with all that rain!! Busy day for me today...got all the critters taken care of, and will be off to our niece's wedding soon....have a good weekend!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rain ain't happening yet, just getting super windy. I think we are lucky, going to track different and we should just get little rain. right now sun came out.

I love weddings. They are sooooo much fun. Have a blast! Let us know how it was when you come back. I love to hear what food was served, how pretty everyone was dressed, and if anyone made a fool of themselves..HA HA
have fun!!!!!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm back from a whirlwind weekend....oh the wedding was beautiful! The bride wore a very simple, strapless dress that was fitted to her ankles where it flared out. She had simple jewelry, and basically was going for the 1930's Hollywood look...stunning. The colors were olive and mauve, and the bridesmaids had on tea-length dresses...very nice and the bonus? 30 minute ceremony!! lol

Food was great...chicken parmisian, herb crusted potatoes, pene alfredo, spring salad, and a vegetable bar. The cool thing was everyone had a small embosed box at their seat, then you were to go to the 'cookie table' and fill your box with homemade cookies and candy....that was your take home gift! (sorry guys, had to write about it, lol)

DH and I danced a bit, then I danced with my 4 year old niece, lol. We had fun watching all the 20-somethings get silly, and finally left at 1030. Our old butts found a motel 30 miles down the road and CRASHED!! lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW that sounds like a wonderful time
glad you had a blast!
the dress sounds beautiful...brides are so pretty. I love all the ceremony and such....just out of the ordinary...special ya know.

That idea of a gift box to take home cookies as a gift is a wonderful idea. I can use that for alot of situations actually. Very smart!!!! Thanks for passing on that great idea!

Nicoles B-day is coming up in April and those little "goodie" bags I put together for the kids to take home COST a fortune...when you do 10 kids, and do like $3-4 per bag of JUNK.....it can be 30-40 bucks before you know it.....but have them box up some cookies and such....GREAT.
I will be using this idea, thanks again.

Food sounded delish, especially the chicken parm. YUMMO

glad you enjoyed yourself---now get some rest you old thing..HA HA HA

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Karen,
I feel the exact same way about those goodie bags, hate the whole thing.I always felt like it was such a waste of money and it drove me crazy.
You know what else is good to do sometimes for the birthday favors though.
I will have the kids make a craft and take it home as their favor, so its part of the entertainment as well.
I do it for a theme, like for a princess theme they decorate their own crowns, jewelry boxes.. or for boys, like a pirate theme they decorate their own treasure box and search for candy.
You can also buy a mask kit and have them make their own animal masks.
Different things like that.
Sometimes we have the kids decorate those little canvas tote bags or pocketbooks depending on their gender and fill them up with candy from the pinata they break open.
You can get bags like that pretty cheap from walmart or the craft stores.
I have also had them decorate flower pots and plant a flower in them.
For our safari theme party, I bought the kids all safari hats and canteens and wrote their names on them(surprisingly they were very inexpensive) and then they went on a search for "animals in the jungle".
I hid plastic animals all over the yard and when they found them they put them in a plastic bag to take home along with the hat and canteen they got to keep.
For summer birthdays I give the kids beach pails filled with squirt guns, water balloons etc.
You can get them really cheap at this time of year and save them for when you need them.
Actually, I have a box in the attic that I throw all kinds of little things in when I find them on clearance and I use them at the parties one way or the other.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I am so far out of touch.

What happened to the good old days where a birthday party was some games, cake and ice cream, open the gifts, and every one go home so mom can clean up the mess?

And weddings. My wife and I are cheap. We have four daughters that got married within 18 months (just a few years ago). Each daughter had a budget of $2000. If they kept under they got the extra money, if they went over they paid for the extra expenses. All four stayed under and I have not heard any complaints about not having a nice wedding.

Does this belong in this thread or another? ;)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I dunno, but we have always had activities for the kids to do at the party instead of the chaos of trying to organize them all into a bunch of different games. I am not saying that we never did games either but its easier not to, there is always going to be someone younger or smaller who doesn't do as well or whatever, I feel activities are an even playing field, easy to do and alot of fun.
I have no complaints, I enjoy doing it for my children.
Besides, who said they were expensive?

I don't know about the wedding thing though, I don't think pioneer girl said it was extravagant or anything like that. She said that the food was great and it should be since you are asking people to go out of their way to attend and it always costs guests money to attend a wedding.

Consider the travel costs, the gift, maybe a new outfit or a babysitter, maybe even time off of work.
Guests spend alot of money.
I think the food and entertainment should reflect that.