Mush

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This cornmeal mush comes from my cornmeal & corn fritters recipe, which is made as a yeast dough and makes 100 fritters.

Cornmeal mush
It is a hearty hot cereal breakfast for 2 .. And is easily doubled or tripled.

1/2 cup cornmeal
scant 1/4 cup sugar or honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cup milk

Combine cornmeal, sugar, butter, salt and milk in heavy saucepan. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. We top with milk before serving.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My mom used to make us cornmeal mush for breakfast when we were kids...on cold winter days because it would be served hot...blech!!!!!!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I have never had mush, but since I just bought 50 pounds of organic dent corn.... Everything corn is going on the menu. In my co-op, getting the ground corn was expensive, and it goes bad so fast. Since my grinder will handle corn I placed a special order for a 25 pound sack. The clerk called me to let me know that through a different company I could get 50 pounds for 1/4 more in price. So now we really need to eat corn as part of our diet, much more than in the last few years. I regularly make hot cereal from home ground grains, so now mush will be added in somehow!

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mush biscuits , thats interesting , will have to try those for sure . Sounds like you guys are eating it like hot cereal. I've always had it where u mix up and cook the mush , refridgerate it over night in a loaf pan , then slice it and fry it. Most people eat syrup on it after it;s fried but I'm not much of a syrup eater. My used to be amish daddy always used to put tomato gravy on his, gross , I know ;) I dunno if I'd like it as a steaming pile in a bowl either. Thanks for the recipes!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
sweetcorn said:
Mush biscuits , thats interesting , will have to try those for sure . Sounds like you guys are eating it like hot cereal. I've always had it where u mix up and cook the mush , refridgerate it over night in a loaf pan , then slice it and fry it. Most people eat syrup on it after it;s fried but I'm not much of a syrup eater. My used to be amish daddy always used to put tomato gravy on his, gross , I know ;) I dunno if I'd like it as a steaming pile in a bowl either. Thanks for the recipes!
Polenta (check any Italian cookbook) is cornmeal mush that is sometimes served with tomato sauce.

Fried cornmeal mush is cornmeal mush put into a greased loaf pan, refrigerated overnight, sliced the next day and fried. Can be served with maple syrup, honey or jam.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just for clarification... you use cornmeal (just), and not cornmeal mix (which I think is mixed with flour and a few other things.)

It doesn't sound very appetizing. But who knows. I love grits.

Cassandra

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Just for clarification... you use cornmeal (just), and not cornmeal mix (which I think is mixed with flour and a few other things.)

It doesn't sound very appetizing. But who knows. I love grits. Cassandra
Just cornmeal, not cornmeal mix. IME, cornmeal mush is usually a thicker consistency than plain cooked grits. I love hot cereals... they make very frugal meals. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Did I hear grits???? Now yer talking my language!!!!!!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just call these yellow grits. We have it a couple times a week.
It tastes creamier than regular grits.

Dash of oil in pot to prevent sticking

4 cups water

1 cup cornmeal

couple shakes of salt

Stir and cook for 10 minutes

Serve in bowl with dab of butter