Mush

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
sweetcorn said:
I dunno if I'd like it as a steaming pile in a bowl either.
I might like it, if you hadn't just used the words "steaming pile in a bowl." Eeeeeew.
:p
I was already laughing out loud at the original quote when I read ScottyG's :) Yes, I'm thinking of a pile of animal excrement...

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Did I hear grits???? Now yer talking my language!!!!!!
I know! Grits are good with practically anything in them.

Milk & sugar... honey...

cheese! eggs bacon ham sausage butter salt!

black eyed peas!

GRITS!!!

Cassandra

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Polenta (check any Italian cookbook) is cornmeal mush that is sometimes served with tomato sauce.
Yes, my noni (italian gran) makes this but the recipe we use for that has salt pork and beans in it , I wasnt sure what to include and what to leave out , if mush needed any different seasonings. We always eat our polenta with melted cheese on it .

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Basic polenta (just cornmeal, water, salt, and maybe some butter and/or cream and/or cheese) is the best thing to go under a meaty stew. I mean, sometimes rice or pasta or potatoes are good too. But on a cold winter day, a bowl of polenta topped with a hearty stew is just so satisfying and yummy. This is the most common use in Italy, I believe... it's a cheap peasant way to stretch out your food with not very much cornmeal.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Did I hear grits???? Now yer talking my language!!!!!!
I know! Grits are good with practically anything in them.

Milk & sugar... honey...

cheese! eggs bacon ham sausage butter salt!

black eyed peas!

GRITS!!!

Cassandra
I only eat grits with salt and butter and sometimes with eggs hardboiled and all chopped up in the grits....man now I want grits!

Funny, I don't put a lot of sweets in the hot cereals here. My kids aren't that picky, and they know I'll make them eat what's in front of them, so when I make oatmeal or cream of wheats, they'll eat it plain.
Once when they stayed over at Grandma's she gave them cream of wheats and she couldn't believe they ate it without adding any sugar/honey, or syrup. I told her I don't do it at home, why would they there? Now my brother and sister, they have to drown thiers in syrup LOL

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put sugar and milk in my cream of wheat and butter, salt, and pepper in my grits. Pretty basic. I might have to try fried cornmeal mush. Probably have to come up with a different name for it or my picky husband might turn up his nose at it!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So basically are grits and corn meal mush the same thing? Are grits made from white homoney(sp)? or regular white corn? I started grinding my own corn meal recently a good trick to get the crunchies out is to sift it.
I also made the corn bread recipe mentioned on another thread. With the homemade yogurt. I was so proud of myself. Home ground corn, fresh eggs, home made yogurt. I allmost gound the flour but ran out of time. My husband says "Is corn bread mix really that expensive?".. He does not get it.

How about home ground wheat cereal? Is it the same concept? I am still trying to use up my boxed suppy, but home ground will be comming soon.

:) G

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I also made the corn bread recipe mentioned on another thread. With the homemade yogurt. I was so proud of myself. Home ground corn, fresh eggs, home made yogurt. How about home ground wheat cereal? Is it the same concept? I am still trying to use up my boxed supply, but home ground will be coming soon.

:) G
Yay for you! When you have leftover cornbread, try crumbling it in a bowl, warm, add some honey and some of your yogurt! My DH looked at it and said "yuck", then ate it and wants it all the time :gig

My favorite home made porridge for the morning is barley. I run it through the oat roller, but grinding it coarse would work. The taste and consistency is wonderful, plus barley is really good for you. If you have a choice get hulled barley rather than pearled, it is milled less.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok dumb question, is grits porridge?

I don't know if I've ever had porridge????