My baby is covered in seed ticks!-revived-THEY'RE BACK

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Absolutely get some guineas if you can! They do a great job with bugs! I've got 12 brooding in a box in the house right now. Although I'm sick of them being in here, I'm glad I have them! :)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
No, I meant my human baby, Savannah! I eventually doused her head with rubbing alcohol and they died and came off within about 15-30 min. thank goodness. Apparently somewhere in the yard we have a nest. The yard has not been kept at all until we moved here and there is still a lot of brush to be cut down. It's not high grass or anything, just woods edge. I held her and picked as many as I could with tweezers until she started kicking and screaming and then i couldn't get any more because I was pinching her instead of the ticks. And they were so tiny it was hard to catch them anyway, especially in her hair, which is really thick and curly. Last year in my sil's yard she got a tick on her back and two weeks later she got the bulls-eye rash and had to be tested for tick fever. She was negative for it though, but I have been paranoid ever since.
My DH says vaseline makes them suffocate and back out. I haven't tried it but it might help. Hope everything is ok.

For the yard- get some guineas - they eats ticks like crazy ! I just saw you are Arkansas too. I'm in Hot Springs.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I keep hearing guinea hens to an amazing job at eating them all up!
Chickens work well too. This year we are keeping our banty's in the fenced yard with the dogs. We haven't found one tick on any of the 7 dogs where last year we would need to pick them off every day.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My hubby got bit by seed ticks several years back and got VERY VERY ill. Save those ticks! Just put them in a bottle and freeze them. The doctors said if you do get ill (it takes about 1 to 2 weeks to incubate the illness) and you have the tick, they can study it to see what disease it is carrying and treat you MUCH faster and more efficiently.

It took about two weeks before they were sure my hubby's illness was tick related. His white count went to 1/4 of normal and they even sent him to a cancer doctor to make sure it was not leukemia!! He ended up hospitalized and took nearly 2 months to fully recover!

Hopefully you will not have this problem and I am NOT trying to scare you. Just to make you more informed. I'll be praying that things are fine with your baby.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We already went throught the tick fever scare with her last year. She got the rash, but didn't develop the sickness. Unfortunately i was already threatened with animal control by one of my neighbors over my chickens. When I had a few loose we never found a tick. I think I would be hung by a mob if I turned guineas loose with all the racket they make. She(my neighbor) actually threatened to call the police and animal control over a rooster in her yard! They are just waiting for me to make a mistake I think so they can make me get rid of my animals. They have already told me what they think of my chickens and goats. Seriously! I think I'll just get some tick killer granules and get it over with.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I feel your "gotta please the neighbors" blues. Some one suggested guineas for me as well, but I am lucky to have my little hens where I live.

So far so good with the baby, I guess. I am glad she hasn't had any reactions to the ticks yet.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay you guys I had to revive this since they are BACK!!!!!!! I'm finding them crawling on furniture, the animals and US! I think the dog and cat are bringing them into the house, but I was outside earlier and saw a big one crawling on the truck tire!!! In the last week we have killed them everyday on us. My ds got 5 off him after playing outside just yesterday. I really don't want to cover the yard in poison and free ranging animals are completely out. Someone said garlic would repel them from a yard. Anyone know of any other ways to turn a tick haven into a tick free area? Do I need to plant garlic over the entire property?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score