My baby is covered in seed ticks!-revived-THEY'RE BACK

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Be careful with the Borax. It can build up in the soil. It is made from the mineral Boron which is great for legumes and alfalfa but can kill some other plants.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Never knew that one Farmfresh...never used it in gardens...I always used it to get rid of lice and ticks in and around the henhouse, and on the carpets and furniture in my house...dog beds etc.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm...how about mixing dia. earth and borax and spreading it everywhere? I have both, I just never thought about it for killing ticks in the yard. I even thought about a propane weed burner and burning around everywhere. The ticks are just unbelieveable around here. I guess so many years of weeds and saplings left to grow wild made a good home for the ticks and now they are coming back out in droves.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the DE should do it. that's what we use to manage the flees. but it's indiscriminate so it's going to kill the good and the bad. of course, they'll be back, and it's MUCH better than chemicals, but it's something to think about.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have used the DE in the house, religiously every year, for fleas and we have NEVER had a problem. We have 3 dogs that spend a lot of time outside during the summer months, so fleas are a very good possibility. Between the DE and the nematoads, we haven't had a problem in well over 15 years.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Outside, if you can stand them, there is nothing better than guinea fowl!

My sisters house was like that. She would pick between 10 and 20 ticks a DAY per horse from her 8 horses! Now that she has guineas there just are no ticks.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I second that! They are a major pain, but they do the job. I also had no cucumber or squash beetles due to three guineas. DH is insisting I get more since predators got the two females who insisted on brooding eggs off our property and outside our fence and hiding the nests very well. I only had three guineas and they patrolled our property and at least four of our neighbors' properties. I should charge rent, huh? :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So my cousin in Mo. mentioned to me today that I should be sure to treat the dog before we come. They have ticks where they are as well. Should I take some DE with me and spread it around my fifth wheel. Is it a deterrent or will it only kill them eventually? What can people do to repel ticks off of them? Should I rub the kids down with something?

OK now I am itchy too.... :bun

gina