My Bock

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's well know amongst family and friends, when it comes to beer. German Lagers are my favorites and at the top of my favorites list is perhaps the most simple German Lager ever, called Bock. For some odd reason Bock beer has been associated to a billy goat. How this came about I'm not sure, but none the less Bock Beer is my favorite beer.

Bock beer is perhaps the most simple beer to brew, according to German purity law of 1516. A beer can contain only 3 ingredients (4 if you count yeast added to the law later). Only water, barley, hops can be contained in every Stein. So strictly following "the law" and sticking to tradition of the Billy Goat. I came up with the start of a label and what I hope will be a malty sweet Traditional German Bock beer that I like so much.

Here is the beginnings of "My Bock" label, I made it simple and left lots of real estate for stats and ingredients.
Polish_20191107_205119188.jpg

Here is my super complex recipe :lol: of course it has to be high in alcohol content or it's simply no fun... This beer is no coors lite, you'll actually be able to taste it.
IMG_20191107_210254.jpg

Here are my ingredients 9 lbs of barley, 1/2 ounce of hops and a harvested lager yeast starter. Geeze there's so many of them, however will I manage? -lol
IMG_20191107_211253329.jpg

Sometimes simple is the best, who needs all those fancy ingredients in today's beers? Lemons are for lemonade, rice is for stirr fry, corn is for eating and corn syrup and corn sugar is just plain nasty.

Das Reinheitsgebot of the year 1516, it's the German way and who can argue that Germans don't know beer? No one!

I plan on brewing this up Sunday, now that it's gotten colder and I can primary ferment at around 50 degrees in my root cellar. I'll post more then.
852368-2T.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bock Beer boiling, tastes very good and malty sweet :)
IMG_20191214_121926969.jpg

1 lb caramel mini-mashed malt, chickens love me long time.
IMG_20191214_125305.jpg

harvested saflager 34/70 yeast starter
IMG_20191214_125807468_TOP.jpg

Clean stainless wort chiller added 10 mins prior of flame out to sterilize it
IMG_20191214_135134764.jpg

cooled to 60 degrees, dumped into a clean and sterile 6 1/2 gallon food grade bucket and airlocked. I placed on the front porch to cool even further. I'll most likely pitch the yeast later this evening,but it will depend on the yeast starter. Then move to the root cellar where it's about 50~55 degrees to primary ferment.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found a new filter in GIMP called cartoon, I kind of like it. Since my bock beer is Amber colored, I decided to go with a amber colored theme for the label. Still a work in progress but getting closer to complete. I also cleaned it up and sharpened it some more.

I tried hard to show eye contact between the two and a bit of a fond look between them. Thoughts on any changes?
Bock.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would make the BOCK bigger, it is lost in the picture. The "amber" billy goat is great! But I like her better as a blond - but, being a natural blond myself that is understandable.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would make the BOCK bigger, it is lost in the picture. The "amber" billy goat is great! But I like her better as a blond - but, being a natural blond myself that is understandable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make a few changes and repost. My wife is a natural blond also, so I guess I'm a little biased... It's kind of fun for me making labels with GIMP.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I keep imagining the BOCK with a wood texture. That may be too detailed for a label though, I am guessing the label will be about 1/2 the size it shows up on my screen, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did a little more work on the label kept the amber billy, but made her back to a blond with brown highlights. Still toying around with a translucent diagonal BOCK but can't seem to get it looking like i want. sizewise it'll be shrunk down to fit in wooden tap handle that I still need to make. The blank spot on the left will be the recipe and stats.

Bock.jpg

The Bock has been in the primary a week now at 55 degrees. I think it's going to be at least another week before finishing.

A sniff of the air lock lets me know i definitely brewed this Bock with German Hallertau hops. It's one of only 4 nobble hop varieties. A noble hop traditionally refers to varieties of hop that are low in bitterness and high in aroma. German Hallertau has a lightly flowery and spicy aroma.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think that looks great! Having her blond livens up the label, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that looks great! Having her blond livens up the label, lol.

I like her better as a blond also :) she's a cartoon figure, so anything goes. Interesting the word Bock mean Billy goat in German. Now I understand why most all Bock beer have a Billy on their label.

IMG_20191223_112846.jpg

I developed a Dunkel Bock recipe a few days ago and ordered the malts last night. Dunkel means Dark in German, so Dunkel Bock means Dark Billy goat. It's basically the same recipe but I added 1/2 lb of German Carafa Type 2 malt. its a roasted specialty malt made from high-quality spring barley. Roasted hull on to add an espresso-like bouquet, coffee and chocolate flavors, and a mild but noticeable roasted aftertaste. It will darken up my Bock recipe. I'm looking for just a hint of chocolate flavor
107123_1_8f45aa86-bfc3-49f7-a4cb-c898503ae46a_x100@2x.jpg

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friend of ours makes beer and wanted to make a chocolate beer for his wife. The recipe he got called for 2 different chocolate flavors - I don't remember exactly what but something like grated bakers chocolate or powdered cocoa. BUT, he missed the "or" between the ingredients and added both. It turned out not so good - the two different chocolate flavors didn't play nice together. They did drink it all by mixing it 50-50 with another beer though.