My Bock

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all that good stuff from the bottom of the bucket is prime worm food! bury it in a garden!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled My Bock out of largering to prime it. I didn't rack it into a new clean and sterile keg. I want to see how it will taste without racking after lagering.

The final gravity is 1.014 which is on the lower end of the final gravity for this beer style (1.013 ~ 1.019). This puts My Bock at right around 7.35% ABV and it'll pick up an additional 1/2% due to adding dry malt extract primer for natural carbonating.
IMG_20200123_164646736.jpg

So far so good. It's smooth and finishes a little dry, with a mild spicy malty sweet taste. I taste no bittering hops what so ever and it has just a slight hint of aroma hop. I personally think even ladies would enjoy a cold glass of My Bock.

I experimented a little and crossed two different commerical strains of German lager yeasts to create my own lager yeast strain. I always feel the need to push the envelope in most everything I do. I can really tell the difference when I drank it also. It has a unique mild spicy malty sweet kind of flavor, that I find very intriguing. I really hope the spicyness carries through during the two week carbonation phase @ 55 degrees. I plan on keeping my yeast strain alive for future batches of My Bock.

Here's it's true color, it's quite clear for beer also.
IMG_20200123_165752.jpg

So far I'm really happy with the way My Bock has turned out. Fingers crossed... only a couple more weeks and I'll be drinking some frosty cold mugs from the tap :)

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You decided to keg ti instead of bottling it? after all the work you put into the label ... ;)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You decided to keg ti instead of bottling it? after all the work you put into the label ... ;)

It'll be a tap handle insert first, but could also be a bottle label later.

Here's the latest, I colored the goat the same colors as the malts in approximately the same percentages used to brew the beer. Any thoughts for changes?
My Bock2.png

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like it!

And I was just teasing a little bit about not using your fancy label.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally ready to enjoy this malty sweet Bock it's mouthfeel is a little thin for me but I've discovered that's part of the characteristic of brewing with extracts. Now I just need to convert this extract recipe into all grain German malts recipe and mash for a little better mouthfeel. It shouldn't be to difficult.
IMG_20200201_224242553.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A truly great brew fully carbonated now... It's slightly spicy on the frontend, finishes smooth, sweet and warming going down. It has a near perfect body and mouth feel now fully carbonated. Heck it's even pretty to look at being dark red with a tan head. The best part is I can brew this anytime I want.

I'm not changing a thing about this recipe, except to convert it to all grain. I just hope my all grain recipe turns out this good.

If your after a fantastic Traditional German Bock recipe to Homebrew. look at the previous posts in this thread, your more than free to copy and brew my recipe. The one only thing I won't share is my "Yeast Blend" but the recipe will still make a great Bock with just Fermentis Saflager 34/70. You just won't get the spicy frontend.

I'm gonna tell everyone that comes over - You don't want none, it ain't no good :lol:
IMG_20200218_213822.jpg

Lesson learned... With German Style of beer. No need to rack a second time for clarity. Yeast does contribute to the overall flavor profile for this style. So go ahead and lager and naturally carbonate in the same vessel. In my case that's a stainless steal corny keg.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After 117 days since brewday it yummy yummy yummy for my tummy tummy tummy. It's a beautiful beer with a blond head, it's almost to good looking to drink I can most definitely taste the alcohol, but it's not front and center. It's a rather complex beer, hard to explain in words... all I can say is it's a Bock. if you like Bock beers you would appreciate it's creamy smooth full bodied malty sweet flavor, that's authentic to the Bock style

IMG_20200409_182032.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts