My chickens.....my friends??? Pics of my meat friends on pg. 13

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Most of the farmers I find are like us. Really raising meat for their OWN consumption. Some of them now are beginning to raise three pigs instead of one or two or 2 bottle calves at the same time. It is actually better for their animal to have a companion, not that much extra work and when they sell that extra animal on the hoof to me they often make enough cash to pay their feed bill. They will usually even deliver my meat animal to the butcher for me! It is a win, win for sure.

I have been doing this for years now. Even though I CAN'T raise my own animals I CAN still make responsible choices about my meat!
This is exactly what I want to do!!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I still think it's more fair to contribute to the animals life first.
exactly. i feel like the ability to eat meat is a gift, not a right, and you really have to earn it. it took me 27 years to get the guts to do it, but now i can't see going back.

eta: my friend has been a strict vegetarian for 12 years. she hadn't even thought about eating meat again until i brought one of my chickens to a bbq. i was amazed and INSANELY proud when she asked to try some. she ate only the tiniest bite, but it was a total validation to what i'm doing. i have such respect for someone who is dedicated to their beliefs (like you and my friend) and can still value and appreciate the effort of others who are trying to do it right. it makes me heart feel really full!