My chickens.....my friends??? Pics of my meat friends on pg. 13

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Okay....don't know how appropriate this is to the SS forum but this has happened time and again and I was wondering if it has happened to you.

Inevitably and quite often, when discussing raising chickens and....ahem....killing chickens, I get these exact words tossed my way....from many different people:

"But..but...they are your friends!!! How could you kill your friends????" This is said with an agonized and outraged look on their face as if I had just tortured and killed a small child. :rolleyes:

I've always tried to assert that I view chickens as food and I don't feel attached to my food source. This never seems to get through, though I know these people eat chicken on a regular basis.

Today, I might have gotten through..... :cool: It happened again today and I placed a deadpan, serious look on my mug and replied:

"You know? I used to think they were my friends but time and again I would visit them in their coop, tell them my troubles, share my struggles and try to have a conversation with them. They always ignore me, they never listen when I talk, and they expect me to get all excited every time THEY lay an egg??? Well, I'm tired of friends like that, so I decided to kill them whenever I need food for my family."

Absolute, stunned silence followed as the woman digested this......

:D :lol: :gig

I'm going to use this approach from now on!!!! :thumbsup

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: :gig Oh that's rich!!

Yeah, I get that a lot. "What are you going to do with that many chickens? Sell eggs?" Nope... Freezer camp! Yum!

Let's not get started on the bunnies... :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: LOVE that response. I get that... " your so mean, how could you?" from people alot too. :/ Then when they say " how could you" I proceed to tell them step by step...HOW i do it. LOL Oh the looks on thier faces. :barnie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It is almost epidemic proportions the number of people around me that feel that way....I'm always puzzled that their animal activism doesn't extend to their Big Macs and KFC! :rolleyes:

The very same people have huge chicken houses back behind their houses reeking of disease and death.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:lol:

Sadly, common sense and natural living has been mostly bred out of society in general.
Big factories, processed food ( that bears no resemblence to the real thing) apartment buildings, death of the family farm and putting government and all its children on a higher plain.
It is fast becoming our demise.

But I will soldier on :weee

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A couple of years ago my dh and I went to Walmart to have our taxes done. Well, there was a man out front with bunnies for sale, all kinds including meat rabbits. I stayed inside long enough to get our taxes started then went out to look at the rabbits. I came inside a few minutes later and told dh how much they were and which ones I liked. He told me to go ahead and get whatever I wanted. The tax lady was listening and she brightened all up and said, "Your getting you kids pet bunnies?" I was suprised and kinda laughed. My dh said "heck no, those are for us!" "Well why do you want bunnies?" "to eat!" There was a long silence then she said "You eat baby bunnies?" Dh said "well yeah." "Oh. I didn't know people could eat a bunny." She was pretty quiet the rest of the time we were there. I honestly think she didn't know that rabbits are edible and quite tasty and we just totally freaked her out . I almost felt bad at the look of shock on her face.
And then I can go on about the story of buying muscovies from a vegitarian.(I honestly didn't know she was a vegitarian!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Warning: Have such conversations AFTER your taxes are done, AFTER your hair is cut, AFTER the dentist finishes drilling!!! Or AFTER anytime anyone has sharp implements near you for any reason! :gig