Reaction score
when are they gonna be 'dinner ready?"

we think we'll do ours late next week
:)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Your meaties look great Bee!!

My cousin and I partnered up this year to raise 75 meaties on his farm. They just came in last Thursday. We are going to go take a peak at them today or tomorrow.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lookin' plump and juicy! :lol:

I've never been able to get my meaties to roost. That looks like a very thick post. Maybe they just want sturdier accomodations then! :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Lookin' plump and juicy! :lol:

I've never been able to get my meaties to roost. That looks like a very thick post. Maybe they just want sturdier accomodations then! :rolleyes:
Probably has more to do with being raised by a broody. Mama teaches her babies a LOT.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have a new broody...just in time for when my layer chicks arrive on June 7th! :weee

I got a chance to talk to a lady that helps run the local WIC program and told her that I was interested in teaching others how to grow food on small properties and would be willing to demonstrate how to butcher chickens. She seemed very interested and stated she will put it in the newsletter this next month.

They are now issuing $20 allowances for each child to be used solely on veggies and fruits and are talking about opening the farmer's market up again here locally! :celebrate Folks are alearnin'!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Bee, thats great news about the farmers market. We have one here on our little town...and its a BIG hit! The DHS gives vouchers to the elderly, and those who receive WIC. I think its like $20.00 a month. It doesnt seem like much, however, our Farmers Market is fairly inexpencive...so $20 a month goes a long way.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, I love the idea of you teaching a class. I think it is so important for people to grow even the smallest amount of their own food. They just don't realise how easy it is. If I lived closer I would be the first one to sign up for your chicken processing class.

Your birds look great!!

gina

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Ours loved ranging on grass....they didn't do badly at all. I would have loved to let them truly free range the property but for safety reasons we had to keep them in a tractor but even that was big enough to let them range a little. They had full crops of beautiful green grass when we processed them. Love it!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, that is awesome about the WIC program!
Our state is the LAST one to still have the warehouses where you have to go & pickup. No fresh stuff until last year (big ordeal for that to happen!), lots of that super-ultra-pasturized milk that I loathed. :sick

Your chickens look fabulous, not creepy at all! :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have a new broody...just in time for when my layer chicks arrive on June 7th! :weee

I got a chance to talk to a lady that helps run the local WIC program and told her that I was interested in teaching others how to grow food on small properties and would be willing to demonstrate how to butcher chickens. She seemed very interested and stated she will put it in the newsletter this next month.
What time should I be there? :D I wish I had someone to teach me, I'm too afraid to try on my own!