My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm curious, how are you going to heat it? For now, I'm still having to bring my plants in some nights because it's just too cold out in my greenhouse for them.

I am hoping to use as much thermal mass as possible. That is one reason I am putting down slate for the floor. It, and the gravel underneath, should absorb a good amount of heat during the day that will radiate out at night and help to keep temperatures up longer on cooler nights. Another method for thermal mass radiant heat will be to use 5 gallon pails with lids, painted black and filled with water.

I am also toying with the idea of making a Swedish Skirt using foam board in a 4 foot perimeter around the greenhouse. This method would keep the ground under the green house from getting too cold and would allow thermal mass from the earth to help keep the greenhouse warmer too.
90e7ed_fe37789cf32e4697a9d73b2e5b278167.jpg.png

One heater I have my eye on is the Dr. Infrared Greenhouse Heater
Two models available 1500 and 3000 watts
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/dr-infrared-heater-115v/heating
17219_7269_large.jpg

Another heater people have used for years in home greenhouses is the "traditional" Patton Milk-House Utility Heater
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYC61/ref=psdc_510182_t1_B00J6B2F1Q
61EZoZkJAYL._SL1024_.jpg

A third model for consideration might be an "radiator type" oil heater
k2-_df6d4d98-070c-4d32-948f-190a9baa6bce.v1.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! I got everything done I wanted to do today...and, here's a pic of the border around the greenhouse all finished.

Today was not as hot as yesterday...high 80's, but the humidity is high.

028.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are lots of free plans on the internet for greenhouses, and I'm sure you could build one for a lot cheaper than I paid even though I paid wholesale.

Reactions: CJ1

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Very nice. Expensive but, nice....those grow lights cost a bundle! So, I saw this at some website where they put a small hoop house inside their greenhouse....for some extra protection. Just for kicks, you might want to put those plants you have (maybe not doing well:() into such and use some temp gauges to see if there is a significant difference.

At least you have a greenhouse to test this for us. Even a small bench setting over the plants with clear plastic on top.

You could even heat a brick in the over & put it in there one day to see if that holds enough.........Just some ideas to give you something to do.:lol: :hide

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MoonShadows that is great to know. It seems that is what always does my seedlings in. WooHoo thanks for your digging for answers.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Think mulch or plastic on soil would help? Just a thought.
Reduced oxygen & light. Don't know.

Everything I read about fluffy white mold says nothing about oxygen and light, just too much moisture and too rich a soil.

Sterile doesn't mean that it has no nutrients. plenty of microbes are in the air and will populate it soon as well. A lot of the store potting soils are peat based, at least here. It doesn't mold easy as it's slightly acidic.

Hmm. on that thought, maybe mulching with peat moss?

When I prepared the soil, I mixed in a ton of peat, but perhaps adding some more to the top might be very helpful. Thanks.

I also have a battery powered fan I keep on the lowest setting during the day to keep the air moving. I usually turn it off at night when I turn the grow lights off. Last night I left it on and this morning there doesn't seem to be as much white mold as there is most mornings. They say air circulation is very important in combating white mold. Air circulation in a house is poor compared to outside.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boy did I need that "big laugh" this morning.....You are correct. I never saw nor did not even know that what you have existed.. This is what I was thinking of.

lil fan.jpg

This is my bar fan just for the bartender. LOL Thanks for the uplift this morning...

So greenhouse fans are essential. They stop the glass or plastic from getting too much moisture and that keeps buggers away...all spaces should have some air movement...especially at night and early morning.

Small plants can easily get "damp off" if they are watered in the evening. Actually, the first thing I learned was never water at night even if you have a good fan. Plants sort of perspire by early morning and that moisture needs to, "be got", off the plant.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL..You are funny.....and now the whole world knows I live on Pinus strobus Dr.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NOw I don't look like my pics...so you won't know me when you see me.....I would not post the extra 60 pounds on line even though I would post my addy....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This whole thing is too funny.....You can see my greenhouse if you would like...Everything is not like yours but you can get the gist of what I do....and you may get to meet ALICE....she is very special..

You would have to excuse my messyness.. I am just getting back on my foot from my June break...I don't worry about those things anymore..

*thinking must go get eggs before someone comes*

4 on left up hill.....I use my maiden name on fb....

Last edited: