My Log of our Homeschooling days.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
No, they had cups of warm milk and a cookie :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you "do" lessons everyday? just wondering.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yes, and no. We might not do lessons from a book everyday, but we do something.

Yesterday during our snow day we talked about how snow is made, where it comes from, and how snowflakes are all different~which led to a discussion how all people are different. This started out as a science lesson, that turned into social studies.

Today we baked cookies together. Chocolate chip cookies. The kids measured out the ingredients and stirred them in. BUT I didn't give them the measuring cups to the exact amount that they needed...so they had to think it out and figure how many of each they needed....example, our recipe called for 1 cup packed brown sugar...I gave them a half cup measure. They figured out pretty quick they would need two of them. :) That was math.

Other days they do regular book work out of our Rod and Staff materials, but I like to keep it interesting. They have to practice handwriting at least 20 minutes everyday and read one book a day. That's about it.

If they want to know about something, like today, DD asked a question about goats, then we go and look it up. Since I don't have books on goats, we will be going to the library one day this week to get books on them so we can find the answer to her question. Her question is why don't goats hybernate? ROTFL!

Today they also helped bring in the firewood and fill the woodbox. We used the wheelbarrow and we chatted, joked, and laughed while we filled the wheelbarrow. That was our socialization.

They just finished lunch and now get about an hour to themselves to play or whatever (this is honestly just so mom can have a break and nurse the baby.)

I don't do book or sit down lessons everyday, but I try to make every experience we have together a lesson, so that they are constantly learning.

Oh and when we added eggs to the cookie batter, the questions I got were this: "Is that egg fertile? where's the chick? does the yolk become the chick? Why only two eggs? Could we have used white or brown eggs? or does it have to be white eggs?" These I were able to answer without needing a book LOL Then they were saying "Cool, the yolks broke!" as we stirred it all up. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is awesome Quail
you have had a wonderful day and so did those kids "in school"
life lessons sure are important big time!!
I know you are smiling...you are doing well for them! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I missed this post last week. It sounds wonderful. You are giving them a very rounded education. I like the way you are working all different subjects into the various things you do together ie-the cookies.
SOOOOOOO whats up this week?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, today is Monday and it's a cleaning day.

I let them color in coloring books and right now they just finished up lunch. So lunch is a free hour or so.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope it is going well QA. How is the Housing development going? Has any paid taxes yet? lol any foreclosures? :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail, I do the same thing with ds & cooking a math lesson it becomes along with home ec & science sometimes too.

Do you belong to a homeschool group? We do & one of the moms has a PE class on Fri afternoon for an hour at a local park. It really is great as the kids get to have exercise & see their friends each week. Then another mom teaches an art class one Weds a month that is 1 1/2 hrs long. Last yr she taught all the classic artists like Monet, Picasso, VAnGough, etc. She really has a lesson each time which is great.

One of the things that drove me the most crazy when we decided to HS ds#2 was the socialization issue. Most people do not realize that socialization begins at home anyway.

Anyhoo, I think your little town is a great idea & I wish you all the luck with it. Oh yeah I understand about the little ones getting into who knows what & doing who knows what! :he

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Hi all, I missed these posts yesterday. No I don't belong to a homeschool group, but I am lookign for one in my area.

The town is on hold for right now. My dear husband (love him to bits remind you) didn't get it....long story....

Anyhoo, he was upset that I was doing "unschooling" and not traditional type lessons, so to come to an agreement, we are doing "traditional" lessons for now until Christmas. Mostly he is concerned that my daughter's handwriting isn't where it should be. After Christmas we are going to do our town stuff 2 days a week and traditional lessons for at least 2 hours every day. :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oooohhhhh, I have an idea QA. When you start back up.....you should have a town newspaper. With a WRITER/reporter, an editor/owner, photographer. You get my point right? She could be the reporter/writer, you could be the editor, and find newspaper jobs for the other ones!!!!