My Log of our Homeschooling days.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How old is your dd? Some kids take a little longer with reading writing than others do. But I do think Roo is on to something for you as a tool for her to practice a little more. My ds who is 9 had horrible handwritting at the begining of this school yr & he is finally showing some real progress now unless he gets in a hurry of course, then sometimes I have to ask him to translate for me.

One of the beauties about homeschooling is you can always change things up if something is not working for you & the children. I think the town idea is a great one & once you get it going a little more maybe he(dh) will get the idea & point behind it.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Our dd homeschools a lot like you do QA! The kids have never been "bored" about school or learning, which in my mind is a real big reason for homeschooling.

When they moved back to Texas, dd had a hard time finding a local homeschooling group. The nearest one to her is 2 hours away! So they meet once a month someplace in the middle for all the families. (There are 4 families in the group, with 12 kids total, counting my 6 month old grandson. :D )

Their October meeting was at the Texas Renaissance Fest (history, music & arts and crafts), November was at a small town where they've turned the old 1800's jail (why laws are important) into a tourist site (diversity of people). The older kids were allowed to make one purchase and then had to talk about the amount of change they got back. (money & math) Their group is skipping a meeting in December because everyone is pretty swamped with their families and holidays.

Instead dd is having the kids make tree ornaments (arts) and cookies (math & science). Some of the cookies will get hung on the tree also.

I think the town newspaper idea is good. Or you could have your dd write to pen pals. Writing to pen pals was one way my DGD improved her handwriting. Pen pal writing is done as a school group. They started with a list of military personnel serving overseas during the holidays a couple years ago.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
You know, I think both ideas are good! My brother is stationed in Germany right now and I think a good writing lesson would be to have the kids write to their uncle at least once a week. Thanks for the ideas ladies!!

What the kids do not know is they are each getting their "family" for their town. I have been letting them use the little pet shop critters for now, but for Christmas I splurged and bought them each a family. DD is getting Dalmations, DS1 is getting Foxes, DS2 is getting Hamsters (his pet hamster Pellet died this year so he really wanted this!) and DS3 is getting a Rabbit Family. I also purchased a fifth family and tucked them back, another rabbit family, for DS4 when he is old enough to "move to town" with us.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
You know, I think both ideas are good! My brother is stationed in Germany right now and I think a good writing lesson would be to have the kids write to their uncle at least once a week. Thanks for the ideas ladies!!

What the kids do not know is they are each getting their "family" for their town. I have been letting them use the little pet shop critters for now, but for Christmas I splurged and bought them each a family. DD is getting Dalmations, DS1 is getting Foxes, DS2 is getting Hamsters (his pet hamster Pellet died this year so he really wanted this!) and DS3 is getting a Rabbit Family. I also purchased a fifth family and tucked them back, another rabbit family, for DS4 when he is old enough to "move to town" with us.
WOW! Talk about excitement at your house, Christmas morn! :D