MY NEW HOME

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, here's another update for you all. Besides planning our wedding, my boyfriend and I are also looking to purchase our first home. So far we can't agree on anything that either of us see or want to check out. I am feeling to just go with whatever he wants and to stop helping with trying to find us home, Did anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve the it?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First you need to establish what your budget allows and what your credit allows.

Then each write a list of what you'd like in the home. Put both lists together and compromise. Know what you are willing to "do" in a home that may come close to wants...needs some work, etc.

It's a place to start. Remember almost NO home is "perfect". Assume this is not your forever home...the first one...knowing that helps with compromise.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First you need to establish what your budget allows and what your credit allows.

Then each write a list of what you'd like in the home. Put both lists together and compromise. Know what you are willing to "do" in a home that may come close to wants...needs some work, etc.

It's a place to start. Remember almost NO home is "perfect". Assume this is not your forever home...the first one...knowing that helps with compromise.
That's the thing with us seeing how it's going to be our forever home seeing how he's edging more towards 60 and I'm edging more to 50

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
That's the thing with us seeing how it's going to be our forever home seeing how he's edging more towards 60 and I'm edging more to 50
Going through this right now, also. It's tough. Our approach was to list the "must haves" (large pantry, master bedroom and laundry on first floor, etc.)and go from there. Unfortunately, we may have to build ourselves, as it is hard to even find places that meet the limited list

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One suggestion is to have a house that is one floor. The older you get, the harder it is to deal with stairs. Yes, they are good exercise...but if you have joint problems, they can be challenging. If you have any physical problems in the future, stairs can make it impossible. Wheelchairs, walkers, crutches.... not stair friendly.
Even in Va, having access to the house from a carport/garage etc is nice; a mud room/entry room is really nice in cold, wet, snowy type weather....
@Mini Horses is right. Credit and cost is first... and I fully agree with the writing a list and then finding agreed on desires.... you will both have to make some compromises. If you are primary cook, you need to have greater vote on kitchen... possible "separate" rec/lounge/man cave/craft-sewing rooms... rather than one big "family room"....
master bedroom with attached bath.... possible both shower and tub?
You really do need to come up with lists and first find what you both AGREE ON.... be positive first...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well, here's another update for you all. Besides planning our wedding, my boyfriend and I are also looking to purchase our first home. So far we can't agree on anything that either of us see or want to check out. I am feeling to just go with whatever he wants and to stop helping with trying to find us home, Did anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve the it?
Make a list of what you both want.

when DH and I were looking, we wanted main floor bedroom and main floor laundry, huntable land, fences, established fruit tree(s), etc. Our list was more about the land than the house!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is amazing what they can do with even a narrow stairway now with the chair lifts on a rail. a friend of ours just had one installed for their very narrow stairway and it looks fine. sure, it isn't as fast as going up and down directly, but it is functional.

Latest posts