My own goat thread-almost a goat drawing

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm soooo close. DH is almost ready. He was willing to listen to me about using part of the big coop for two goats. He didn't pass out until I told him our vet has two Oberhasli does available. And then it was only almost passing out. Once I told him I didn't plan to go get them tomorrow or anything he was better. I am calling in the morning for more info.
So what can you guys tell me about Oberhaslis in general? Quiet? Friendly? Like to climb? I may actually really need to know!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My research and questioning last year led me to really want one. Didn't get one, but wanted one. Sweet, quiet, beautiful, and good milkers. This last bit took some doing to find....they are not the top producers, but that comes from a commercial dairy mindset, in which a few ounces less per day on a statistical chart means a lot less income over the life of the goat. For a homestead goat, a few ounces in either direction is not a big deal.

Goaties!! Yay!

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have an Oberhasli that just kidded for the first time this winter. She is such a gentle goat. Very friendly and a very good milker. I get 7 cups per milking. Milk two times a day. She is by far the best mother also. A little too good. Always wants the kid right there beside her when getting milked. Silly goat! :) I would get those goats before someone else does. They arent too common around where we live, wish there were more bloodlines. Keep sweet talkin' that hubby of yours! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm just remember the vet had one tied out in the yard one day we were there. Not sure why. But she was very friendly and DS loved petting her as much as she loved being petted. I have traded eggs for milk with the vet so I already know I love the milk. His wife gave me some cheese she had made also. mmmm
Don't think I'd need more than one milker with just three of us.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
But....you could breed one, then milk her "through" and breed the other the following year. Dry the first on off when the second one is producing enough or has weaned her kids, however you do it. Then you will never (in theory...goats tend to have their own ideas about such things) be without milk, and only have to deal with one set of kids per year. In theory, your does will last longer and be healthier, too, without the heavy demand on their bodies every year.

Just a thought....that I've been toodling around with after going two months now without fresh milk!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
But....you could breed one, then milk her "through" and breed the other the following year. Dry the first on off when the second one is producing enough or has weaned her kids, however you do it. Then you will never (in theory...goats tend to have their own ideas about such things) be without milk, and only have to deal with one set of kids per year. In theory, your does will last longer and be healthier, too, without the heavy demand on their bodies every year.

Just a thought....that I've been toodling around with after going two months now without fresh milk!
That makes sense. Rather than getting a wether to keep her company. I guess I just meant I wouldn't want more than one in milk at any given time or I'd be swimming in it! I'm not sure DH wants to feed a wether if its main purpose was to keep a doe company. And a buck is out of the question.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
So, if you've been following my journal you know that I'm "this close" to getting my first goats. Our vet has two Oberhasli/Saanen cross does he is looking to place. I have yet to actually speak directly to him about them. We've just been leaving each other messages. His last message said they'd be weaned around May 22. That suddenly sounds very close and we're not ready.
So my most immediate question is:
What do you recommend for a fence height for their pen?
There will be more questions I'm sure. Many many more! :/ :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Four feet with electric wire on top and maybe another one down low, depending on your predator situation. Higher for a buck. I went close to six feet on the yard side of my buck pen, and over that on the does' pasture side. He spent a lot of time sizing up the "shorter" fence!

Remember, you are fencing your does IN but also fencing predators OUT. Especially while they are small and also when they have their own babies in the spring.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No bucks allowed! Hmmm, DH won't be thrilled at having to install electric but he can do it.
We've had fox get in the yard fence (won't rely on that for goats, they'll have a pen within the yard fence. We have two German Shepherds next door that do get into the front yard. They've never gotten into the fenced yard, or even tried that I know of, but who knows. The Newfie on the other side just lies on their deck and barks. Laziest dog I've ever seen. There are coyotes in the area but we've never seen one close. There was what we think was a coy-dog last summer but it was killed by a car. Doesn't mean there aren't more.
Better safe than sorry!