"My Wife is an Animal Lover"

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
This is kinda funny timing since the other free rabbit hutch thread, but someone gave me a free rabbit hutch a few weeks ago and just asked me yesterday if I wanted his rabbit (they found it in their yard, not a wild rabbit) and big cage. I told them yes, please. Then I started thinking maybe I should be honest and tell them why I wanted rabbits...to raise meat. I told him that, and told him I promised to never eat his rabbit, but I said I may use it as a breeder if it could be bred (he isnt' sure if it is a male or female). I told him even though we raise our own meat we also have animals that are strictly pets.

He wrote back and said his wife is uncomfortable with the whole idea, and she's a real animal lover and had a change of heart. I'm totally cool with that, it's their rabbit, their decision. BUT, what really irked me was the whole "she's an animal lover" thing. I'm an animal lover too! I love them so much I would rather raise my own meat that I can raise humanely than buy storebought meat that has not been treated well at all. :rolleyes: He probably didn't mean anything by it, but it really bothered me. I hate the attitude that "we" who raise our own meat are mean or barbaric or something. :rolleyes:

So I first emailed him back, "Ok, I understand." But then I wrote him another email and said, "Just to clarify, I'm an animal lover too. I don't like how meat is raised (and treated) commercially, and I don't want to be a vegetarian, so I decided to raise as much of my own food as I could so I could make sure the animals are treated humanely and live good lives. :) I realize it's not for everyone though. Thanks."

I just hate that disconnect between society and our food.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well said, katie!!

You never know - she might be one of those people who say "I can only eat store bought eggs...."

Good for you for telling them the truth, though. Even though once it was in your possession it was your rabbit to do as you pleased you gave them the option which most people wouldn't do.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
. . . I hate the attitude that "we" who raise our own meat are mean or barbaric or something. :rolleyes:

So I first emailed him back, "Ok, I understand." But then I wrote him another email and said, "Just to clarify, I'm an animal lover too. I don't like how meat is raised (and treated) commercially, and I don't want to be a vegetarian, so I decided to raise as much of my own food as I could so I could make sure the animals are treated humanely and live good lives. :) I realize it's not for everyone though. Thanks."

I just hate that disconnect between society and our food.
:thumbsup

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Ok, he replied back and said he really enjoyed my blog and felt the same way I did, but his wife was the one who made the decision. Either he really feels that way or he's using her as an excuse. Either way it's ok. :lol: I use my husband as an excuse sometimes, and he does the same for me. We're ok with it. :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Good second reply :thumbsup

I very much dislike that attitude as well. It reminds me of my teenager...knows nothing, but knows everything and is always right anyway no matter how many proven facts you show them :rolleyes:

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Reminds me of my youngest DD. 'How can yuo eat them poor animal? And eating those eggs is just EUWWIE!' This from a 28 yo who is chowing down on a hamberger from McD's at the time!:rolleyes:

I told her that at least I knew my animals had had the best possible life they could, plenty of fresh air and sunshine, and they were dispatched in a humane and caring way. May seem odd to some but I even say a prayer for each one before bleeding it. And my animals are very calm during the process.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in re to the mcd's at least you know your meat actually IS meat and not just all the junk they couldnt sel legally as meat blended into a burger like shape.

im the same as you all, my animals are my life...literally, ive been a vet assist and a zookeeper, my animals keep me sane...i LOVE them...
and id personally rather know that my meat lived a good life, spoilt rotten best food, sanitary conditions ect and was humanely butchered with as little waste as possible.

ive had people ghasp and be all like "well that would be like eating your dog or cat!"
i just shake my head...
people have NO idea where their food comes from.

heck i had one person freek when she found out i eat eggs fresh from the chicken...i asked her if she ate eggs and she said yes...so confused i asked her where her eggs came from...her responce...I get MINE from the store...
aparently the eggs in the store are delivered by the easter bunny and grow on egg trees, as they simply CANNOT come from a "dirty chicken"

its insane.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
in re to the mcd's at least you know your meat actually IS meat and not just all the junk they couldnt sel legally as meat blended into a burger like shape.

im the same as you all, my animals are my life...literally, ive been a vet assist and a zookeeper, my animals keep me sane...i LOVE them...
and id personally rather know that my meat lived a good life, spoilt rotten best food, sanitary conditions ect and was humanely butchered with as little waste as possible.

ive had people ghasp and be all like "well that would be like eating your dog or cat!"
i just shake my head...
people have NO idea where their food comes from.

heck i had one person freek when she found out i eat eggs fresh from the chicken...i asked her if she ate eggs and she said yes...so confused i asked her where her eggs came from...her responce...I get MINE from the store...aparently the eggs in the store are delivered by the easter bunny and grow on egg trees, as they simply CANNOT come from a "dirty chicken"

its insane.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've had similar reactions....including wouldn't I "reconsider" eating duck so they could "live".....

I answered that so a chicken could die that I buy in the store? And did she know anything about the life of that chicken?

I asked if she wanted to buy a duck for a pet then, so I might buy my dinner? Answer was no.