Mysterious lurkers on the SS forum

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was one of those mysterious lurkers! I 'hung out' here for a long time before I actully joined. I read a lot and learned a lot and finally decided to take the plunge!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
They're doing things unseen... just below the radar, so to speak. But I can tell by the evidence.

How do I know? I started a thread titled "Upcycled/repurposed projects". It's in the DIY section, and is about re-using materials, parts, items, and components in practial ways. To make useful set-ups, devices, buildings, machines... whatever. Examples of how people use imagination, skills, know-how, and will power.

Well, the number of replies from people who are known members here on SS has not been so large. But the number of views has been. I remember being astonished when the number of views reached 9000 in less than a year, and now it's just over 14,000. Whoa!

Mind you, nothing wrong with lurkers.
Remember every time I click on this item it counts as a view. Myself i figure maybe one reply for every 10-15 views. I don't click view a lot of the lines anymore as I know the names.~gd

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Moolie, I never thought about the fact that a person can join, then send a PM to a member, then get the member's e-mail address when they answer. Being the slightly paranoid hermit that I am, I don't think I would even answer anyone's PM if they were a brand new member. They would need some "street cred" first.
Furthermore, I don't even think this is something that should be allowed on the forum. Maybe a new member should have to post 10 times before being allowed to send PMs, like with photo posts. Am I just being too paranoid?
Each time I simply private messaged back via the forum, I never replied directly to the email. I value my privacy when it comes to total strangers :)

But perhaps that requirement is something to suggest to the ownership?

Most forums I belong to have a public "portal" but all of the actual everyday posts are visible only to actual members--this one is kinda unusual in that anyone can read it without being logged in.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I came here from BYC, where I was a lurker for awhile before joining. I post a lot on TEG, but I passed on pinpointing my location.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also lurked many times before joining. There is a lot of information here to be gathered.

Some of the lurkers could also be folks that were pretty vocal about leaving and they're just coming back to see what's going on.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sometimes come back to look up certain threads, kind of like using a reference book.

I don't usually post because I have had a few bad experiences.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I sometimes come back to look up certain threads, kind of like using a reference book.

I don't usually post because I have had a few bad experiences.
Who were they??? I'll beat 'em up for you!!! Come on in and post. We all learn from each other and your input is valued.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I lurk a lot more than I post because of time factors. I could spend way more time than I have available if I answered even a fraction of the threads that interest me.

Jill

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I STILL lurk on here a lot myself. Sometimes I get on here just to read, not to respond. :hu