NAIS, will you participate if they make it the law? Or will you...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
try to get around it? Joel Salatin makes a good point in regards to government control over the food supplies in this country. Something to the affect that people will have to eventually break these laws if they want to grow their own animals for food.

How many of you feel like you would not be compliant with a mandatory NAIS ruling in this country?

I know that I would try any way possible to get around it and maintain my freedom and privacy, as well as my right to keep my own animals, without government control.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There's an article I just read, I think it was in Backyard Poultry, that said basically right now NAIS is dead in the water (where it should be). The government is surprised by the vehement protests against it. Imagine that (they're surprised). I think people are finally waking up to the nanny state takeover that's been going on now for the past few years. I hope more do start to pay attention - we don't need every aspect of our lives controlled, nor do we need to be 'kept safe' by the government.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would get around it any way I could. I would not volunarily participate...they have to catch me..HA HA

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
could_be_worse.jpg

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How many of us think there's so much government oversight right now that we don't even want to use keywords "NAIS", "law" and "disregard," "ignore" or "noncompliance" in a public setting?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
If the county make virtually no attempt to round up unlicensed, nuisance dogs, what chance do they have of rounding up unlicensed chickens, goats and sheep?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Quite true, ETR, but we don't eat those animals, either. I wonder if they might actually manage to manage better this time around because of all the food safety issues there have been recently...

For the record, I would REALLY hate to be in any sort of registry and would do all possible to avoid it. What on earth is the point--I sell my eggs and eat my own chickens. So what?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't believe the issue is about food safety at all, but then, I am a conspiracy theorist also! :D

I believe its about control for control's sake. If the issue was about food safety they would be targeting big ag business conglomerates, but they aren't...they are using this excuse to force the small farmer to the wall, so big agribiz can be a monopoly supplier. Follow the money trail and you can usually find the source of the problem. Whoever controls the food supply in any country, controls just about everything else.

NAIS may seem dead in the water, but something will happen in the future that will have people running to register their premises...and if they don't the rest of the world will be running to report them for not doing so. They are encouraging people to do just that...report your neighbor for noncompliance. They are requiring vets to report also. They use scare tactics and, you have to admit, people scare easy now days.

The people balked at removing prayer from school and the issue got quiet. Years later it was slid in more subtley, with less fanfare, and now its here to stay. Did you ever think that would happen, when you were growing up?

They will find a way to pass it because its going to make the big guys a heck of a lot of money. I also feel its the precursor to the same kind of system for humans...they already have the National ID card on the table.

me&thegals, I'm sure you are right about that. I found proof a couple of years ago that every phone conversation we make is monitored. You know, you kind of imagine that its like that but you think maybe your just paranoid? Nope, its real and its happening now. If you're the type that worries about such things it would blow your mind! I'm not the type that worries about it but I do like to know about it. Being fully informed about things makes you more prepared to deal with the eventuality.