NAIS, will you participate if they make it the law? Or will you...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know that they ask for my zip code each time I buy feed at the feed store. Why would they do this if not tracking sales and location of customer? They certainly don't do this to send out sale flyers of any kind, as I have never received one. I don't think they'll have any trouble at all tracking folks that have animals.

I'm not going to worry about it until it comes around but I will definitely try to find ways around it.

I can just see all of us animal owners with camo leaf covers for our buildings and runs, tiny little "crow" collars on our roosters, coops disguised as storage sheds, with an underground bunker for the chickens.... :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, they already make those nifty little saddles and diapers...why not use camo! :D

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I believe NAIS is dead in the water. I think the national program may be on hold for awhile while the states pick up their own programs. In my state, tagging cattle is already maditory, and children cannot show their animals at fairs and in 4H w/o being registered.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Helicopters and planes can fly over your house, and see that you have birds. That's what I'm worried about.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
heatherv said:
This is why my parents won't get the new digital reciever thingy for their t.v.'s!
Now that's taking things a bit far. They are aware they won't be watching TV after February 17, 2009, right? That isn't a big brother thing, they are freeing up the analog lines for other communication needs, those signals will cease to be transmitted from TV stations on that date.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
heatherv said:
This is why my parents won't get the new digital reciever thingy for their t.v.'s!
Now that's taking things a bit far. They are aware they won't be watching TV after February 17, 2009, right? That isn't a big brother thing, they are freeing up the analog lines for other communication needs, those signals will cease to be transmitted from TV stations on that date.
That's why you need comcast thry have you covered ;)
Why can't they just leave the TV alone?!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My tv's are all "hd compatable" as is my anntenea....ah well, they came that way, lol.

Beekissed got me thinking with her 'chicken underground" about another forum I was on. We used to talk about all of us pooling together and buying some obscure island and living in Yurts, raising animals and food, and living off the grid. Its a lovely idea, but I think all the billionares of the world are scooping up the islands, lol.

here is a Yurt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I believe NAIS is dead in the water.
Farm Mom---you are right. Nothing ever goes away once the govt. starts something...it will be worked on and changed and will be in our faces again at some point!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep. There is money behind it. Lots of money. The very microchip and the chip readers are developed, and sold by, the drug companies that manufacture the medicines that are regularly fed to the commercially raised animals....which, in turn, make them susceptible to new diseases that are resistant to the drugs...causing the need for better tracking systems. Nice little cycle, isn't it? :(