NAIS, will you participate if they make it the law? Or will you...

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I would do everything to get around it. I mean come on, our country (and others) was founded on people growing, raising, eating,etc their own and each other's food. It was used as currency (and still is in some places/countries) and even here in the romote places of the USA, where people are still "people", growing and trading your own food is survival. No, I'll sell my eggs, chickens, beans, corn, etc or trade it if I want, thankyouverymuch.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
If the government was able to control much of anything, it would not have needed months and millions of dollars to track down some salmonella tainted peppers.
I bet that NAIS gained momentum from 911 with Congress wanted to insure security of the food supply. Not being independent and enterprising people, they were clueless about how many people are out there with their small herds and flocks. So they take advice from the "professionals"- you know the people who have large commercial markets. Together the lobbyists and marketing organizations and assigned bureaucracy devised A Plan with the idea that something so simple and effective would just fly through.
Opps-too many small things that could negate the effectiveness of this started coming up- so now the bureaucracy is trying to gather all the loose ends but the loose ends refused to be gathered.:he
No real conspiracy needed- only the exercise of self-interest by commerical interests with the self-promotion of the agencies in charge. And the greed and corruptablitiy of politicians who only want to look good and feel powerful.

The only entity I can believe moniters every phone call is the telephone company- so they can charge money of course. :lol:

Lots of people complain about the ineffectiveness of the government (which of course is not completely true,) but I always think that this, and only this, keeps the power hungry from succeeding. You only have to visit the mail room of any large government office to be firmly convinced they can't manage a "conspiracy" -only in small, mean organizations can do that. Those innoculous looking, small groups can get away with a lot because no one is looking. And you'll only rarely even hear they exist.

It is much more likely that some small, self-important offical will cause a citizen misery through mis-use of the law than any large organized agency ever could. IMO

Forgot to add with all my philosophising, that I was one of the small ends that refused to be gathered. Enertia always wins.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Where I live, I really think people would be very tolerant and not "notice" unregistered animals. Geez--my neighbor's big beautiful Bourbon Red turkeys spend half their life on the road, the other half in our bean field. I'm just thrilled to see their beautiful selves. Every single neighbor I can think of right now has lots of chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, quail or other animals in their yard. Then, you can add in the dogs, cats, goats, sheep, cattle and so on...

I imagine all these country folks would not take kindly to being registered on some list and eventually tagging every single animal "just because" the gov't says so. I'm a law-abiding citizen, but sometimes--give me a break! It really has to make some sense.

If NAIS is about food safety, how about we take a look at the way food is raised and processed in America rather than just post-incident tracking down the diseased organism?

When I sell eggs, fruits and vegetables to my customers, I have to look them in the face. There's a major unspoken social contract that happens in that exchange. I will never sell them something that is less than clean, healthful, beautiful. I won't sell them anything I would not be happy to feed myself and my children. Maybe when we get so far from our food, oversight like NAIS starts to seem necessary...

Just my strongly-held opinion :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I am not sure how these "NAIS people" would find your animals, but if my neighbors flock has disease that would probably mean they would have to cull my flock too. I will by from private breeders too.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ticks said:
I am not sure how these "NAIS people" would find your animals, but if my neighbors flock has disease that would probably mean they would have to cull my flock too. I will by from private breeders too.
I'm not either. The only thing I can think of is having to "register" to buy animal feed or give some sort of identifying information when using vet services.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
ticks said:
I'm not either. The only thing I can think of is having to "register" to buy animal feed or give some sort of identifying information when using vet services.
Right we should learn how to make our own food. How would we know if NAIS becomes mandatory?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I found proof a couple of years ago that every phone conversation we make is monitored. .
This is why my parents won't get the new digital reciever thingy for their t.v.'s!