National Geographic- Doomsday Preppers "They are bbbaaaccckkk!!!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
dfr1973 said:
This show is being discussed on at least one other board I frequent, and posts this morning say one of the preppers in the first-aired episode has now been declared "mentally defective" and the state of TN has seized all his firearms.
http://offgridsurvival.com/doomsdayprepperdeclaredmentaldefective/
http://www.personalliberty.com/cons...ined-mentally-defective-stripped-of-firearms/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but I just had ta laugh over that one! Now here's a conundrum...if you are a doomsday prepper and intend to fight all the folks off your storage, isn't it counterproductive to feature your location and your setup, not to mention what you are storing, on live TV? :pop
Apparently doomsday prepping doesn't completely include common sense!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, and the folks that had the container castle that had their "escape" plan in two large buses and a few trucks... How are you going to defend unarmored buses????

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dfr1973 said:
This show is being discussed on at least one other board I frequent, and posts this morning say one of the preppers in the first-aired episode has now been declared "mentally defective" and the state of TN has seized all his firearms.
http://offgridsurvival.com/doomsdayprepperdeclaredmentaldefective/
http://www.personalliberty.com/cons...ined-mentally-defective-stripped-of-firearms/
I feel so bad for that man. SO bad.
I didnt think he sounded too crazy or anything,... well, he did lose me when he mentioned trolls though,(i didnt get that)
But still, its his life, his choice. Period. How dare they take everything away from him...
You could hear the hurt in his voice... :(

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have been watching it....more for the entertainment value. I mean, sure, these people are "prepared" to some extent....But honestly....why on earth would you chose to go on natonal tv, and let everyone know where you are and what you have? I think this show is backed by the government, luring people to show what they have, so they know where to go FIRST! HA Not me suckers!! I am in NO WAY as prepared as they are...but my skills are sharp, and I am fairly confident we will make it ...to a certain point. If "it" gets worse than what we are prepared for? well...take me NOW! I don't want to be a struggling survivor.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had to stop watching it because my hubby got all bent out of shape when they started pulling guns out... I did get a few good tips though... I may have to order the video and watch it one week when he goes on a trip to see Sons. LOL.. I thought it made the people look a little crazy too... but figured it was filmed to look that way... I agree with not anouncing to the world that you have food Storge !!!!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find it irritating and manipulative the way the program is edited to make everyone look like a nut, but I persevere and try to look through their filter, and enjoy it nonetheless. The producers seem to want to emphasize the paranoid aspect of some of these folks. The certainly emphasize the Mad Max side of gloom and doom science fiction stuff, and just gloss over the most useful, sensible aspects, like growing your own food or supplying their own water.

"Yeah, and they have a garden that can feed them in perpetuity and chickens to supply all the eggs and meat they want... BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE GUNS!!! AND HEAR THIS STUPID THING THIS GUY JUST SAID!! Crazy, right??"

You talk to anybody for several days straight about any passion and they are bound to say something stupid.

But like I said, I find things to enjoy about it all the same.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just noticed that the last four episodes of Doomsday preppers with be on tonight starting at 7:00 . Yesterday they said new episode this wenesday..

User4960

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:old

I don't have a tv, but let me guess: This doomsday prepper show has rich folks on it who own land, lots of vehicles, all kinds of expensive guns, lots of gadgets, and let me further guess; Most of them are in their 30's?

Never saw the show, but the real deal is not glamorous enough for tv.

:caf

hqueen13

Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
:old

I don't have a tv, but let me guess: This doomsday prepper show has rich folks on it who own land, lots of vehicles, all kinds of expensive guns, lots of gadgets, and let me further guess; Most of them are in their 30's?

Never saw the show, but the real deal is not glamorous enough for tv.

:caf
Actually, you're wrong. There are a really wide variety of folks on the show, from younger in their early 20's and still in college trying to prepare in an urban situation, to families with young children, to older couples that have children of their own that are grown and out of the house. Some have lots of land, and some don't. Some have weapons, and some don't. Some have massive food stores, and others don't. Some focus on being able to survive in the wilderness, and some don't. Some have underground bunkers, others have "forts" built out of shipping containers.
I would say that the show has done a good job of looking at a variety of types of "prepping" rather than just a "farm" situation. They are making the "real deal" quite glamorous for TV. If you look past the fact that the show "hypes" the "OMGTHEENDOFTHEWORLDASWEKNOWIT" thing, there are some really interesting styles and ideas. Don't knock it til you know it.