Natural childbirth any tips for the pain?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
When I was pregnant with my son a few years ago, I read in a book about a woman who was not looking forward to having her next child after having a marathon labor and ending up in the hospital with all of the interventions (she had planned on a homebirth). She said that for her second birth she would only stay home in labor as long as it took to bake a chocolate cake -- she put a definite limit on how long she would go without changing her birthing plans -- and so she had her friends and family come and help her make the cake. It turned out that that is almost exactly how long her labor lasted and then she got to eat the chocolate "birthday" cake after her baby was born. I think it is smart to set boundaries on how much pain or how much time in pain you are willing to stand before you will accept intervention and/or pain meds. Because it is when you start to feel defeated that the pain will get the worst. Also . . . what worked for you last time? It may be the same or it may be different with this next labor, so remind yourself of all the natural techniques out there . . . breathing, birthing tub, vocalization, applying pressure to another part of the body to distract your mind from labor sensations, focusing on objects across the room, listening to music, etc. etc.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
When I was pregnant with my son a few years ago, I read in a book about a woman who was not looking forward to having her next child after having a marathon labor and ending up in the hospital with all of the interventions (she had planned on a homebirth). She said that for her second birth she would only stay home in labor as long as it took to bake a chocolate cake -- she put a definite limit on how long she would go without changing her birthing plans -- and so she had her friends and family come and help her make the cake. It turned out that that is almost exactly how long her labor lasted and then she got to eat the chocolate "birthday" cake after her baby was born. I think it is smart to set boundaries on how much pain or how much time in pain you are willing to stand before you will accept intervention and/or pain meds. Because it is when you start to feel defeated that the pain will get the worst. Also . . . what worked for you last time? It may be the same or it may be different with this next labor, so remind yourself of all the natural techniques out there . . . breathing, birthing tub, vocalization, applying pressure to another part of the body to distract your mind from labor sensations, focusing on objects across the room, listening to music, etc. etc.
That's a fun idea. I really really wanted to stay home until the last minute with my first. However, since my water broke I had to go in. This time if my water breaks my doctor said I can stay home 12 to 18 hrs before I have to come in. That's because of risk of infection. I also refuse to be induced again. I tried really hard to not have a IV put in this time. It hurt bad. She can't not put one in due to hospital policy. But she going to wait until the last minute she can and numb my hand first. I'd like to have a friend with us this time. I have back issues that flared last time. So it would be nice to let Ben (the hubby man) have a break from rubbing my legs. The doctor has never had anyone feel the contractions in their legs before. It was weird. Maybe I should start working on a birthing plan. I've been just ignoring the whole thing. That might settle me down a bit. Oh one reason I love my doctor is that she will let you go 24 hrs before considering a c-section. Everyone else is 12hrs of active labor. I guess they have to set a time limit. I'm assuming its to protect them if any goes wrong because they waited to long. It's one of the bad things about a tiny hospital. But my doctor is our family doctor as well and we really love her. Although if for what ever reason she can't be there i am being transferred to a different hospital. No way am I risking this one doctor near me. She does almost all c-sections for any and all reasons. I won't let her near my kiddos either. When we have had to use the walk in clinic we call to make sure shes not there. I would love to have baby at home but hubby is terrified about something going wrong. So that's out. Oh well. Maybe the nice nurse from last time will be there.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, go ahead and take the time to sit down and write out a birthing plan. As you say, I think it will help you feel more confident and it will help your husband, and anyone else who is with you, to stand up for what you want or don't want done while you are in active labor. I also enjoyed reading other people's birth stories while I was gearing up for my son's birth.

I'm glad that you like your doctor. That is very important.

I'm not a baby person either. What helped me was having my mom stop in regularly. Do you have anyone (in addition to your husband) who can relieve you for several hours at a time? Also, have you told your husband about your concerns about post-partum depression? If he is aware he will be a better judge of whether you have it or not and also will probably be extra sensitive to your needs and extra helpful. I would also recommend getting a baby carrier/sling, if you don't already have one . . . they are good for promoting mother/baby bonding, which is probably extra important if you feel you are at risk for post-partum depression.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friends daughter recently had a baby, and I took my 14 and 15 year old "babies" to see him, on the way home they asked if all babies were that ugly- all wrinkly and red. So I had to laugh and said yes most are. So when we got home I pulled out the boxes of pictures and found their first pics... my youngest took one look at hers and said " I look like a freaking chucky doll!". She was born with long red hair that stook strait out. Lol.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not a baby person either. That's why I only have 2. I would have loved to have had twins since I wanted 2, but wanted to get it over with ASAP. :hide

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am also worried about a 2nd birth also. I do first have to get pregnant-which is easier said than done, but *if* i do get pregnant, I dont want a repeat of last time. I was 17, 5;3" 105 lbs. I was 2 weeks late, went into labor at 10pm, managed to stay home until 4am when i said i was coming to the hospital no matter what....(nurse told me not to come yet..) went to hospital, was excrusiating pain for about 3 hours, got to the point where i said.... Get me the drugs...NOW!!! I was prepared, but not prepared. I was 17 and nieve forsure. Gave me the epidural, i was so exhausted i slept for about 4 hours, woke up and i was fully dialated. So my Doc said it would be EASIER and QUICKER to let my epidural run out because then i could "feel" what was going on and push decent. Well, she was WRONG!! I pushed for 2 hours without much progress, i was tired, in severe pain, and the baby was not moving much. I pushed for a nother hour and he then came more but got stuck after his head was coming out. I had an EXTENSIVE epesiotomy to get him out. She wanted to use the Forceps on him and i told her you get the H*ll away from my baby with those metal things!!! ( I hate FORCEPS) he eventually came out. 8lbs 8ozs. I was SO incredibly sore for the next month i could barely sit down and it sucked!!!
I really dont want a repeat of last time. I do however think i was just mentally unprepared and got a little hysterical towards the pushing part later on. that didnt help either.

I do know that this time that under no circumstances do i want to be induced!! (unless the baby is in danger) i DONT want a c-section at all. And i want to TRY and do it natural. Not sure if this will work, but i want to try. I have personally heard nothing good about induction. BOth of my sisters were induced because the baby was like 4 days late, and they wanted to be induced so the doc was like...sure, lets do it!!! (?????) and they both ended up with csections because they didnt progress and their water was broke too long and had to get the baby out. Neither ended up a good delivery. Heck my friend just said to her doc... i dont want to really go thru labor again and dont want a vaginal birth....so they just gave her a date and scheduled a csection.... what the heck??? i cant believe people and doctors just do that. Babies come when they are ready!!!!!!

today child birth has become more of convienence thing than anything. Lets schedule a csection so we can KNOW when our baby is being born so the doc can have the weekend off!! I mean, its just stupid if you ask me. If there is a ligitimate reason for being induced then fine, but just wanting ot do it at a certain time i dont think outweights the risks at all!!!!

im sure you will do just fine. Just make a birthplan and try and stick to it!! Good luck!!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I thought I would give an update. I had my baby girl on August 9th at 11:35am. :D She turned sideways and had her hands on top of her head. I had to have an emergency C-section after they tried to reposition her for 3 hours. My doctor said if we wanted to have another baby she couldn't be our doctor. I would have to go to the University of Iowa. Our hospital is too small for high risk really anything. We call it the band-ade station. My hips are just to small for babies. So I guess we are done having babies. Makes me sad but we can always adopt. I don't know how to post pictures or I would show her off.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new baby! Sorry you had to go through all that t have it end up as a c-section, but glad you had a capable doctor there. Enjoy your new little miracle.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad to hear she arrived safely! But, sorry you had to go thru all that. :hugs