Need Advice

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Getting a good guard dog is looking good. Train it to guard your animals and property. That might be pretty reassuring since you're by yourself.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep this pretty much sums up my line of de-fence.. i mean, defense..that is if they get past the fence:

1. shake my beatin' stick
2. set the gander on intruder
3. send Titan out there. good dog.

"say friend, that dog ain't lickin' you.. he's TASTING you."

actually those two big dogs keep 'em all in the truck. that'll do dogs, that'll do. see? a pig won't do that.

;-)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Meri, someone did say the emus can get pretty nasty didn't they..?

One of kind defense system on two legs! :lol:

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gettin' rowdy up in here......sticks & dogs & attack emus.

Remember, this is the guy who takes care of my pets when I'm gone. Matter of fact, I have 2 freerange roos who attack every male that comes on the property except for him.

I can't really cut off contact because he has to drive by my house to get to his own house (dead end road) and usually when he sees me outside, he'll pull over for a chat. I can easily keep my distance in the yard. The problem is, now that it's cold/perpetually snowing, I'm rarely outside, so he knocks on the door. His family gets free eggs in exchange for all the help they've given me in the past, so he drops off cartons for refills.
I'm not going to stand outside in 30 degrees & bunny slippers to talk & keep him out of the house and it seems really rude to keep him standing out in the cold especially when I hand him the house key whenever I have to leave town. (oh, I just had an awful thought.)

I don't think it's to the point where the beatings need to commence, however you're all welcome to stop by and chase him around with sticks as long as you keep me out of it - I have to live here you know. :D

ps, Thanks to all the fellow recluses who chimed in to make me feel not quite so crazy.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We do tend to get a little riled up and out of control here! Especially in someone's defense!

It sounds like you can preserve the relationship, you just need to be excruciatingly clear with him. He is not taking hints.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh.. Well when you look at it that way its a little creepy..

You do have weapons around that you know how to use, correct? :hide

I hope you can talk to him and he will remain civil and understand..

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Y'all are crackin' me up. I almost feel sorry for him now.

Blackbird, my best friend is a gunsmith and his twin brother is a weapons instructor, so I'm armed to the teeth and fairly proficient. My neighbors think I'm a harmless little tree hugging vegetarian.......I'm ok with that. ;)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Y'all are crackin' me up. I almost feel sorry for him now.

Blackbird, my best friend is a gunsmith and his twin brother is a weapons instructor, so I'm armed to the teeth and fairly proficient. My neighbors think I'm a harmless little tree hugging vegetarian.......I'm ok with that. ;)
Hehe, lets keep it that way!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any way you could get friends with the wife and giver HER the keys when you need to leave town? I think that would send quite the message.... If she's the domestic type, maybe invite her over to teach you her favorite recipe with some of those great eggs or something? Never underestimate the power of a cup of tea and questions like "tell me about your mom/sister/whoever when you were a kid?". Nice words never hurt anybody, and if they've uncomfortable just remember- growing as a person! (That's what I try and tell myself when I'm nervous to the point of stomach cramps. Sometimes works).