Need help from the Diet Gurus!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thaks Lesa.

FF....i don't think Hubby is interested, just being polite. Although if he wanted to stop eating meat that is fine by me....just don't bring home fake food!

Yeah I am going to let it go. Diet is like religion everyone'is the right one. :gig

Thanks all for setting me on the right track with this!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know it's not a popular topic around here, but there are plenty of studies (including looks at cultures/religions that don't eat meat) showing that good, balanced vegetarian diets are perfectly healthy.
There are also studies showing brain shrinkage in non-meat eating societies. Mainly due to B-12 deficiency.

I spent 6 years as a vegetarian. I ended up even more obese than when I started, developed high blood pressure, and was pre-diabetic by the time I was done.

I don't believe a total vegetarian diet is inherently healthy. Millions of years of evolution shows mankind specifically thriving on animal sources of fat and protein.

A lot of "vegetarian" societies out there are actually pescetarian...as in they eat fish and other seafood along with cheese and eggs. THAT can be a fantastically healthy diet because of the omega 3 content of the sea food. But is it really a vegetarian diet?

A friend of mine who is a vegetarian isn't really a vegetarian either. She is a carbotarian. All she eats is rice, bread, pasta and a little dairy. She hates most vegetables. I eat WAY more vegetables than she does.

I once did an experiment where I ate like the traditional diet of the Tokelau Atoll natives. Their diet is based on fish and coconut. It was wonderful. I just can't afford the price of fish.

I could dig up some papers, but I know nothing you or I say is going to convince hubby's friend.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Some people can be healthy and be vegetarians....eating PASTURED eggs cooked in pastured butter, drinking whole raw milk and eating raw dairy products from pastured animals. It even more important for the ovo-lacto vegetarian to get their saturated fats from extremely good sources.

Bee's parents ate wild turkey that they hunted and killed themselves, but still called themselves vegetarians. Not being critical, just repeating what she wrote about it.

The average omnivore in this country eats a very crappy diet, so it is not surprising that the average "vegetarian" is really a carb/soy-atarian. Not all, though.

I eat a lot of vegetarian days now that I have plenty of the above pastured foods. I had three eggs with butter for breakfast and for lunch am eating a huge bowl of chevre with home-grown strawberries and a touch of raw wildflower honey. That will keep me digging in the garden all afternoon. The chevre was a bit dry so I poured some cream off the top of a bottle of raw goat's milk into it. I'm in heaven!

B vitamins are one of the biggest issues for vegetarians and especially for vegans. People of child-bearing age should carefully research this way of eating and need to be very, very aware since serious birth defects can result from B deficiencies.

Omega III/Omega 6 imbalances can be quite severe, too, since veg oils are the fats of choice and flax oil will NOT correct this.

I stopped at Starbucks with some friends this morning (I was not even tempted, but I told dh to gift me with one of the stainless steel travel mugs one day! :p ) and one told me he was off red meat, he could have it only twice a year, to lower his blood pressure. He said this while sipping a fat-free soy coconut high sugar who-knows-what else. They were giving out free samples of this awful drink and while others went back for more, they were puzzled that I wouldn't take it. But didn't want to know why, so I didn't tell them. It is their choice and I said if you want to know why I won't touch soy or how you can lower your bp in a week while eating eggs and red meat every day, ask. I'll give you some links and you can do your own research. No one wanted to know, and I dropped it.

Yup, deleting the email was the right choice. I can't imagine most men resisting the pull of bacon frying or a nice burger on the grill! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My favorite vegetarian dish is crustless quiche made with eggs from my duckies, spinach/lambs quarters/amaranth leaves from the garden, mushrooms, onion and covered in parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Don't forget to add a little home made kefir to the egg mix :D

:: burp ::

Oh! And the onions get caramelized in butter, then the greens get mixed in until they wilt.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I LOVE crustless quiche with veggies and cheese. :drool

I think the B12 problem arises primarily in vegan diets (no animal foods at all -- no milk, cheese, eggs, etc.).

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my personal opionon on veggie/ve vs none is simply based on biology and personal choice.

my stomach has 1 chamber. my teeth are a combinaiton of tearing/shredding and grinding...
form a biological stand point i as a huma being have evoled to eat a varied diet of both plant and animal matter...i as a human being, developed as an omnivore, omnivores eat meat...
this goes for animals too, i dont feel feeding a carnivore a vegitarian/vegan diet is a good idea anymore than i think feeding a herbivore meat is the thing to do...
the biologist in me says my body has developed this way for a reason...ill eat to survive but i also want to eat what makes me feel good...
i tried a veyr low carb diet for a little and got REALY sick...my body was telling me something...so i listen...

on the other side of things i do feel that people have 100% right to make their own decisions based on thier own reserch, whats right for thier bodies and whats right for them morally.

neither is right or wrong...i do belive humans can survive on a veggie type diet (though i dont think vegan is truly healthy for humans) as long as they are smart and the diet is balanced...(and not just premade veggie stuff ie tofu and soy)
but i also belive humans were built to process meat, plus i LOvE meat lol.

in terms of this guy and him trying to "sway you to the dark side"
id simply tell the guy directly, glad your doing well for yourself but m not interested, and there will be no further discussion of trying to sway me to become vegitarian, thank you
and then forget about it and ignore him...