Need help learning to can and preseve

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I know someone who slipped while washing her kitchen floor and broke her neck. So I don't think it is safe for anyone to be washing their kitchen floors.... :plbb
Oh poop I was planning on washing my floors tomorrow!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dddct said:
hi Kristen I have seen you on BYC as well. I have read some much on canning and everyone says just jump in. I think this weekend I will do just that. I have abouot 3 dozen eggs that i haven't sold yet and I think I will try pickling them. I'll let my MIL try them. What's the worst that could happen right. My MIL get sick awww. OH that's mean I don't mean that...or do I?

I thought i'd call Lyman Orchards to see what classes they may know about as well. As for the bread, same thing. I guess I'll just jump in. I just sorta wanted a lifeguard you know.
OH, I love Lyman Orchards! I grew up in Middletown and used to go there a lot as a kid. I love the MIL idea! I'd say go for it!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My favorite food book for sufficiency is "Stocking Up". I can't remember the author. It tells how to do a little of everything. Check Amazon.

I also bless the "Ball's Blue Book" for timing charts.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That would have NEVER worked for me. Currently my mom is dead, but before that she could barely make TOAST!

Grandma was the canner. Even then she was hit and miss.
Grandma was much better just whipping up amazing meals or making sausages than she was at canning.

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
OK I took the plunge and made pickled eggs. They are in the water bath right now. Stupid question though, does the lid seal after being in the bath or is it supposed to seal when youo put the hot liquid in?
I boiled all the jars and lids. Hard boiled my eggs and peeled them. Then stuff them into the sterile jars with a slice of onion. I boiled the brine for 10 minutes and then added it to the jars. Now they are in the bath
But none of the lids seems sealed. If I pressed the center it still makes that pop noise.

Do pickled eggs have to be refrigerated or can they sit on the shelf like other pickled items?

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
awww where is everyone?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am here honey!

When the egg jars come out of the bath set them on a towel spaced apart to cool for a while. Do not tighten or wiggle on the lids!

As they begin to cool - you will here a pop sound - that is the seal being made.

Leave the jars until they are completely cool then carefully remove the jar rings. When I first started canning I was afraid to remove the rings, but if you don't they end up rusting and really only have a job while they are holding the lids still until the seal is made. After the ring is removed try to pick up the jar carefully by holding onto the lid. If it stays on it is there to stay. Wipe the jars down with a clean cloth and LABEL. I usually write on the lids with a sharpie since they get pitched after use anyway.

If you had any jars that did not seal - just refrigerate those and eat first. The rest should be safe to store without refrigeration just keep them in a cool dark place, but the pickled eggs need to cure awhile for best taste.

OK?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dunno where others are, but personally I was eating lunch :)

Lids don't seal til after they come OUT of the boiling waterbath and start to cool. DO NOT MESS WITH THEM WHILE THEY ARE IN THE WATERBATH, NOR RIGHT AFTER THEY COME OUT! You can inadvertantly cause them to *not* seal that way.

Chances are, if your headspace was correct, you will hear them ping downward within the first few minutes of removing them from the boiling water bath; but if you don't, wait several hours at least, and THEN poke at 'em.

I would personally store pickled eggs in the refrigerator if it was the first time I'd made them, as protein stuff (which includes eggs) is more prone to problematic spoilage than vegetable stuff (like regular pickles) are. Certainly once you open a jar, or if there are any jars that don't seal properly, they need to be stored in the fridge.

Have fun,

Pat