Need help learning to can and preseve

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I moved to urban living I wanted to be more self-reliant. We started raising our own chickens and have a small rabbitry that we spent last year establishing and feel that i am doing well in learning the ins and outs of raising some animals. Now I'd like to learn to can and preserve and make my own bread etc. I know there are books and such but I do so much better learning hands on. I have found a homestead school in the midwest and may go for a long weekend but was wondering if anyone knows of classes on canning and such that I could take local or does anyone offer classes to others

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
No chance you could turn up a relative, neighbor, bored elderly woman living nearby, or someone from church, who would like some help with canning next summer? That is probably the best way to go if you want hands-on. It's a win-win situation - they get help and company, you get to learn the ropes.

It is REALLY VERY easy to learn to can, pickle, do jams, etc from a book though. Truly. *Totally* not rocket science. Just try it! :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:welcome Now....could you maybe tell us where you are located? You never know when a SS member may live next door! :)

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are good videos online.
I am in NJ and can/dehydrate/freeze all spring and summer.
I know they had a canning class at Howell Living History Farm last year. You can search it and see what comes up.
Lin

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Try your local county extension agent. They are a wealth of information, and for a canning guide, I will highly recommend you get your self a copy of the Ball Canning Book. It is invaluable when it comes to cooking times and recipes.

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm in CT. I would love to ask family and friends for help but they all think I'm nuts. My boss even calls me farmer jane now ( and my name is Diane lol)

I would love to perhaps host a group of ladies to come and we could have a day of fun but I personally don't know anyone who is trying to live more self-sefficiently. I am embarrassed by the fact that I can't even make homemade bread. I have a ton of eggs and would love to pickle some but don't know how and the thought of doing it wrong and someone getting sick makes me nervous.

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have several books on canning including the JOys of Canning and one by Ball. Still interested in finding someone who can do hands on teaching or make a day of it and share in the goodies

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi ddd, I recognize you from BYC! I'm in eastern CT. I've learned to can over the years by reading reading reading and just jumping in! I started with strawberry jam.
Same thing with bread, I just found a basic recipe and tried it. Out here in the Mansfield area I have seen adult ed. classes in bread baking. Maybe there's something like that in your part of the state?