Need help picking an LGD for our needs

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is also wise to realize that there are often two types of every dog:

Those bred for show - they often are bred for looks and not for breed behaviors or smarts.

Those bred to do what the breed was bred for. Often, working dogs. This is a diminishing population - many that are bred as "working dogs" are really only bred for competitions, which isn't the same thing at all.

You may need to be careful when looking for a dog, about just WHAT you tell the previous owner also. There are SO many people who look down on working dogs now. They think somehow that it is unfair to the dog, or that working dogs are mistreated.

We found a potentially good puppy on Craigslist, a combination of breeds we were interested in. It was a six month old dog - already good sized, with a lot of Lab in it. Would be the size of a lab, and was already big enough to be cumbersome in the house.

We stated our interest in finding another dog for our farm, and to breed her to a Farm Collie.

The owner (who claimed to be DESPERATE to find a "good home" for the dog), declined. Said that this wasn't a "working dog", it was more of a "lap dog" (a large breed dog, mind you!), and that it needed to be indoors and not outside. She also said that it would be bad for the dog to breed it.

I found it to be very discouraging. There is a growing attitude like that. That all dogs and cats must be spayed or neutered, that they need to be indoor pampered pets and that their lives can have no purpose other than being walked and petted.

Anyway, just that word of caution, about sounding out the seller very carefully before you talk about your plans for the dog, ESPECIALLY if you do not intend to vaccinate your dogs. Some sale or adoption contracts also specify that you must spay or neuter, so if you intend to breed a dog, you'll want to make sure it hasn't already been spayed or neutered, or that you are not required to do so.

Most people now have a bad attitude about raw feeding too. If you mention that, they'll think you are abusing the dog.

Dumb, but people are very out of touch with what their animals were bred for, and what they really need. Most dogs were bred as working dogs, and are happiest when they are working with a good master.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
pinkfox said:
for an all aroung farm dog, mabe a rotty or a german shepard...
for a more livestock guardian type thats also a good 'family" dog, ive heard the best things about pyr and maremmas for that not 100% livestock but not a papmeperd pet type lfestyle...

ive seen alot of pyr and pyr mi puppies going cheap and a pyr would definatly do find in your climate :) the pyranese ive been around are also very good with their packs HUMAN children too.
No rottys, period, or anything like them.
I do have the baby to think about as well.
I have met a maremma and really liked it, but they are spendy!
I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying nearly $1,000 on a dog.
Being a rottie owner, I have to ask you why you would think that a rottie would be a danger around a baby? My rottie is the biggest baby around the kiddos, even when they were younguns, and has never had a problem letting kids onto our property. For grownups, - he is protective for the WHOLE family. Not mean or bitey, but definitely intimidating, and will defend if necessary. He is great with helping (herding) the livestock, gentle with the chickens , so much so that they literally walk on him. IMO and experience, he would be the number one choice. Especially with a baby. It wil be her protector for as long as the dog lives.

edit--didn't reat the whole thing, but I still love my rottie, and will alwasy have one. Ys, they get a bad wwrap just as pitties do, but mine is the best dog I have ever owned, (until I got my pug, but she is not a protector)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
pinkfox said:
for an all aroung farm dog, mabe a rotty or a german shepard...
for a more livestock guardian type thats also a good 'family" dog, ive heard the best things about pyr and maremmas for that not 100% livestock but not a papmeperd pet type lfestyle...

ive seen alot of pyr and pyr mi puppies going cheap and a pyr would definatly do find in your climate :) the pyranese ive been around are also very good with their packs HUMAN children too.
Being a rottie owner, I have to ask you why you would think that a rottie would be a danger around a baby? My rottie is the biggest baby around the kiddos, even when they were younguns, and has never had a problem letting kids onto our property. For grownups, - he is protective for the WHOLE family. Not mean or bitey, but definitely intimidating, and will defend if necessary. He is great with helping (herding) the livestock, gentle with the chickens , so much so that they literally walk on him. IMO and experience, he would be the number one choice. Especially with a baby. It wil be her protector for as long as the dog lives.
Two different thoughts. Not necessarily connected :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ugg, I here you on the vaccine, raw feeding and fixing stuff.
I want to steer clear of the shelters for that very reason. I would have to lie about all our animals.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
I don't understand your response, but pleas note I edited my pos.t

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:
Not you. Me. I have a baby that I want protected ;)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also, for what it's worth, we had a Rottweiler/German Shepherd cross. He was neutered, I don't know if that affected his behavior.

He'd bark his head off all night at the wild rabbits, but he'd let the neighbors into our back yard to steal us blind.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol my dad had a GSD like that, dog was great for keeping other dogs, cats, rabbits, shadows, random falling leaves ect off the property, but theives hed welcome in and show them where we kept the good stuff lol.

bubbling, i do understand the reluctance if thats the kind of environment, its such a shame when it gets to that point.

id definatly suggest a nice great pyranese for you in that case, good workng dogs, nice family dogs, not as drivey/standoffish as many of the other LGD's, still make good "family pets" and farm dogs at once (they dont nessicarily ahev to be one or the other) big enough to be intimidating, and dangeorus but typically even tempered enough to use their brains, and big and fluffy for baby to practice her bearhugs with :p and not so big that there overwhelming for one person to handle...(unlike the central asians and caucasians ect...)
not very drooling overall (though they can be when they drink...
and perfectly suited for the alaskan weather :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
I still don't get it., I cant speak for all rotties, but ours would def protect the baby. What am I missing?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:
I still don't get it., I cant speak for all rotties, but ours would def protect the baby. What am I missing?
Just that I need a dog to protect :lol:
No connection with the rotties.
I have been busy today, and writing to fast.