Need ideas for tables.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I've mentioned it in just about every forum on SS already. I've made great progress on my sale last two days. But this still leaves me with a delema with how tight I have stuff crammed onto shelves.

It just dawned on me reciently that I had stupidly sold of a pile of 2x4's and 2x6's. Had I kept even a few of these I could have made up to 4 full sized 4'x8' wide tables for displaying things on. Now I'm stuck with 1/2 exterior plywood paneling that nobody seems to want. And still don't have more space to display with.

Any suggestions on how I could use that plywood to make more tables with, and not cost me any money???

Thanks

Jax

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
If your needing temporary tables-Set plywood on sawhorses or metal garbage cans/barrels.
or concrete blocks.....

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
both sets of saw horses are already in use, no handy pile of cinder blocks or barrels.... other then 4 full sheets of this exterior plywood, the only other materials I have is a garbage can full of scrap 2x4's, but nothing longer then 15". Note, ever since the world went "gree" can't find barrels around here anymore...ugh!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If you have a can full of scrap 15" long 2x4's then you have TABLE LEGS! Just screw then together to make whatever length(25") that you need!!
Who cares if you have to use 3 of them to make ONE table leg!

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Perhaps I should reword that. Nothing larger then 15" long. I'd say well over half of what's in that bin is less then 4" long. Doing a remodling project I learned rather quickly to save EVERY bit of scrap until the job is done, save's having to buy extra lumber you're just gonna cut of as a filler piece.

Anywho, I think I may have come across a solution. Atfter an hour or three of googling, I came across plans for a plywood table. Basically you take two 24-36" long strips of plywood and nail them together making an "L". Each L is a leg. Since screwing into the edge of plywood is a big no-no, I could use a few pieces of the scraps I have to screwing each leg together. Then use a few more pices on the underside of the table as well to screw the legs to the table.

My first concern would be how wide each strip of plywood need to be, and still be safe. After sketching out the design on some scrap paper, I can't figure out how to make any more then 2 more tables. But that's still 2 more then I have now. It's work able.

Just have to work out a couple of safety issues now. Since 4 feet is rather long for someone to reach across I was thinking of ripping 12" off the lenght of each of the two tables I'm going to make. This would also help with the weight and warping, since I don't have any 2x4's or 2x2's I can run the lenght of the tables to reinforced them.

I had thought about making each half of each leg 12" wide, but I'd only get 8 pieces from one sheet of ply. If I could go with 6" for each side of each leg I can get 16 legs from one sheet. Enought to make two tables. With the left over sheet I could cut that in half and use that as a center board vertically to the floor for extra support.

Comments? Suggestions?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky,

Why thanks for the offer, when shall I be expecting you?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you have a trashcan full of scraps, you have half a table RIGHT THERE. Get another trash can same height, put something atop them (preferably with the top touching the wall and don't put breakables on them) and there ya go.

Those plastic blue-bin recycling containers work good too.

(e.t.a. - if you lack sufficient tabletops, that is what hollow-core or other basically-flat interior doors are for. They can be put back on their hinges afterwards, just make sure you knw which one goes where. Knock the hinge pin out, don't unscrew anything)

Honestly though, people will be FINE if you just put stuff on the FLOOR. I know it ain't what Saks Fifth Avenue would do but it works FINE for anything that is not tiny, breakable or otherwise super delicate. Spread out a clean bedsheet and arrange your stuff on it.

Pat

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
get one of those spool thingys, they make great tables.....just ask the goats! Seriously though, throw a tablecloth over it and no one would ever know it was a spool. Trust me, I've done it. :D