need ideas for uses for plastic coffee cans!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had asked a few family members for their empty coffee cans. well i have tons of them now. i use them to measure feed and dh has many he uses in the garage for holding stuff. i have a couple i keep by the front door for gloves. and 1 for extra leashes and collars. anyone else have any ideas? hate to tell them to throw them away.

by the way.. these are the plastic ones, with lids. i wish they still had the metal ones.

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
plant seedlings or intermediate transplant pot. Or spitoon.:p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You could use them to store dry goods in. Keep left over food in. Dip flour, sugar etc from the pantry. Many uses...

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
they have a very strong coffee smell, and i was worried that the food i stored in them would smell and taist like coffee. i have aired them out and after i thought the smell was gone- i put the lid back on and the coffee smell came back.

i didnt think of starting plants in them, but wouldnt i have to cut them to take the plants out?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I use them for kitchen waste. Then, when it gets full, I take it out and dump it in the composter. W/the lid on, it keeps bugs out and keeps it from stinking. And, if it starts to smell too bad, I dump some baking soda in to control the odor.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just found this on the internet...
4137_81557443222745682_p8ikziy1_b.jpg

lol. i think i will nail these on a couple trees in the woods. :lol:
but it would be a good idea for camping.

p.s. this is what i have the most of. some are the bigger size. and some are blue with a handle.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I save those as well. Mainly I store canning rings and flats in them, feed scoops, garden stuff. I always question the seal of the lid so I don't use them for food.

g

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
just found this on the internet...
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_81557443222745682_p8ikziy1_b.jpg
lol. i think i will nail these on a couple trees in the woods. :lol:
but it would be a good idea for camping.

p.s. this is what i have the most of. some are the bigger size. and some are blue with a handle.
OK, that's what I need in my outhouse at the farm! Right now I have my TP in a bucket w/a lid. I've been trying to come up w/an idea for hanging it. Next empty coffee can I get will be used for this!

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We use ours for an in-between for flour, meal, sugar and such. Buy bulk, save in 5 gallon cans and just fill up the coffee cans as needed so it's handy in the pantry without having to open the big buckets every single time. I also use them to sort and store nuts, bolts, washers, nails and such in the shed. They also make good scoops for dog feed, cat food, scratch grains and other animal feeds, we keep one in each bag of the feeds we don't use a lot of. Cut a slot in the top and you've got a piggy bank. Great for dipping water out of the rain barrel to water house plants.

I love these things.

Latest posts