Need Imput on Ceiling Fans

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I don't think I was clear on my ceiling height- it is 26' peaked. All the walls are 11' high. Yes it is a soaring ceiling. The cross beams height are at 13' plus. I am really hoping that mounting it/them on the beam(s) will be adequate, instead of on a rod coming down from the ceiling just for convenience sake. I do not want a lighted fixture where I have to change the bulbs, either.

XPC-using your formula, I guess I would double the 13' @ $.50 per day to $1.00 because it is 26' high? Then again, it is what it is and heated with wood from the property, so the cost is my labor. I want more heat for my efforts and the idea of the fan running reverse to "pull down" the heat seems appealing.

It is interesting that you found "medium up" the most effective. That says a bit about the amount of power required in the motor.

Thank you for taking the time to do the quick test and posting your findings. I'll look at that information more closely.

Pat, I do understand the destratifying concept from my pond, but hadn't originally thought of the air in my room in those terms: mixing.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
You don't really have a choice but to mount them on the lower beam, it will not be as effective as being 4' from the ceiling but is better than nothing. I would swag the power cord so as to get a good idea of what will work and have the flexibility to move later..

Mackay said:
What ever you do don't put your fan on a rheostat to control how fast they go. It ruins them. Just be content with the speed settings they come with.
This may have been true back when Frankenstein made his monster but a rheostat hasn't been used since, as long as the speed control is rated for a fan then it will work, they now use thyristor rather than center tapped potentiometers.