Need low carb breakfast ideas-flax pancake verdict is in

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wife, the other page on this thread? I totally missed it :p I've never made ricotta pancakes, but there are oodles of recipes out there for them.

Now I gotta go back and read thread from the beginning...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The apple flax muffins are a keeper imo. I make them quite often. the first time i made them, I was skeptical, but they are awesome. I haven't found a substitute for the splenda though, , but I figure I hardly ever use it, so it's not so bad, (unless someone can think of a substitute) I also added a handful of toasted pecans too--yummy!
I'm also making zucchini muffins for the rest of the family, as per request. then I have to pack up and get out of here.

Hubby and dd left eary this morning, I'm meeting them at about supper time, hubby is coming home and dd and I are riding tomorrow. Hoefully the weather holds out.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I posted a recipe for almond meal ricotta pancakes on the other page.

As for almond meal prices, Trader Joes and Vitamin Cottage are your best bets. VC is less than $3/lb lately.

You can also order online from Netrition.com
Hehe, 6 pages already and I'm forgetting what's on here. Time to print out more!
No VC here and TJ's is an hour away but I can make it out once in a while. I'll keep my eyes open. It's been a lot higher than that at WF and our local food co-op.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
The apple flax muffins are a keeper imo. I make them quite often. the first time i made them, I was skeptical, but they are awesome. I haven't found a substitute for the splenda though, , but I figure I hardly ever use it, so it's not so bad, (unless someone can think of a substitute) I also added a handful of toasted pecans too--yummy!
I'm also making zucchini muffins for the rest of the family, as per request. then I have to pack up and get out of here.

Hubby and dd left eary this morning, I'm meeting them at about supper time, hubby is coming home and dd and I are riding tomorrow. Hoefully the weather holds out.
Would Stevia powder work? Have fun riding!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
WZ's almold pancakes are in a link in post #19. I didn't remember that they had ricotta in them! Yay! Thanks again!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A safe replacement for spenda is xylitol.

You measure it just like sugar.

Often I use half xylitol and half stevia. That way you get the sweetness of stevia without the aftertaste it sometimes has.

Splenda is in the same category as nutrasweet, (aspartame) to me.

this page will tell you why I don't keep it around. http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mackay said:
A safe replacement for spenda is xylitol.

You measure it just like sugar.

Often I use half xylitol and half stevia. That way you get the sweetness of stevia without the aftertaste it sometimes has.

Splenda is in the same category as nutrasweet, (aspartame) to me.

this page will tell you why I don't keep it around. http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/
No need to be convince me not to use Splenda! I don't touch the stuff either. I do have xylitol though and will give that a shot. I hate the way it tastes in my coffee. Believe it or not I do like the way stevia tastes in coffee but it did take a little while to adjust. My naturopath recommends either stevia or xylitol. I think the name xylitol makes it sound about as natural as aspartame though!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I don't know what stevia xylitol or naturopath is but if for some odd reason you find it necessary to put anything in your coffee then use sweet black sugar - made from winnowing crushed ant bodies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Or not...

:gig
Uh, yeah, I'm with WZ. Althought I'd bet ant bodies are low carb. :sick

In case you really want to know:

Xylitol (from Greek - xyl[on], "wood" + suffix -itol, used to denote sugar alcohols) is a sugar alcohol sweetener used as a naturally occurring sugar substitute. It is found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms.[2] It can be extracted from corn fiber,[3] birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose with only two-thirds the food energy

Stevia is a genus of about 240 species of herbs and shrubs in the sunflower family (Asteraceae), native to subtropical and tropical regions from western North America to South America. The species Stevia rebaudiana, commonly known as sweetleaf, sweet leaf, sugarleaf, or simply stevia, is widely grown for its sweet leaves. As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.

With its extracts having up to 300 times the sweetness of sugar, stevia has garnered attention with the rise in demand for low-carbohydrate, low-sugar food alternatives. Medical research has also shown possible benefits of stevia in treating obesity and high blood pressure. Because stevia has a negligible effect on blood glucose, it is attractive as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (ND or in Arizona "Naturopathic Medical Doctor" or NMD), in sixteen U.S. states and six Canadian provinces refers exclusively to an alternative medicine degree granted by an accredited naturopathic medical school.[1] While these degrees may be held by people outside of these states and provinces, in most other jurisdictions, the terms are unprotected and may be used by anyone, regardless of educational level. Practitioners who hold such a degree may also legally use the title 'doctor' in certain jurisdictions, but not in others. Equivalent professional titles may be reserved for ND/NMDs in other jurisdictions (Naturopathic Doctor, Naturopathic Physician, Naturopath), or there may be no legally protected title. This article discusses the accredited North American degree.

Those holding the accredited North America degrees generally practice as primary care providers of naturopathic medicine. Naturopathic medicine is a complementary and alternative medicine which emphasizes the body's intrinsic ability to heal and maintain itself. Practitioners of naturopathic medicine prefer to use natural remedies such as herbs and foods rather than surgery or synthetic drugs. Naturopathic medical practice includes many different modalities. Practitioners emphasize a holistic approach to patient care, and may recommend that patients use conventional medicine alongside their treatments.