Need low carb breakfast ideas-flax pancake verdict is in

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
But bread is not low carb. Along the lines of breakfast not having to be breakfast, I have also known on occasion to have coleslaw and cauliflower salad (I can't make myself call it faux potato salad, cuz I really can't do faux, like faux meat just ain't meat, ya know?)
Some breads are. Have you tried making the Almond flour breads? The flax bread suggested at the top is as well. I have a pizza shell I do that is gluten free but does have some corn meal to it, but still overall it would be lower carb. I have put spinach and scrambled eggs on it for brunch, and it could be made ahead and warmed up. Or as stated why think only of breakfast foods?

Those egg ideas in the silicon muffin cups I do the night before my 2 dayshifts so I can just stumble out of bed and pop them in the toaster oven. They warm up while I shower. I have taken them to work as well for lunches, they travel well. I add spinach to the cheese and crumbled fried pork often so it's like ham and eggs in one. I have added potatoes or corn too but you might not want to.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The flax bread and muffins were my contribution, so I am aware of that. :)

My response was (perhaps mistakenly) geared towards normal wheat bread. I have been doing low carb since Feb. so I am well aware of what is low crb and what is not. almond and flax can make good bread substitutes.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, I should quit keeping so many tabs open, I forget who the OP of the thread was. :lol:

Life on a slow internet connection, gotta give the pages time to load.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:) Okay, I have the flax pancake recipe printed and I'm headed to the kitchen...... 10:30, not bad for a Saturday with no place to go!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm! That was good! I cooked it in a buttered cast iron skillet rather than the microwave since I had the time. I out mashed berries with stevia on it instead of syrup. And I used stevia instead of splenda in the batter.
I made one for DS too using goat butter. He's about to take his first bite......

He says it's good.

Interestingly the two I made were a little different from each other. His batter as thinner. The only difference could be the size of the egg I used in each.

I forgot to add the water at the end both times and it still worked fine.

It's a keeper! I will need to eat a little more protein I think to keep from being hungry later on, but I better a smear of almond butter would help and taste good.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yay!!! I'm making the apple flax muffins--dd and I are going on an overnighter trail ride, and I need something easy for breakfast tomorrow--no stove to cook my eggs--so muffins it is. also, they will be easy to grab later on if we are hungry on the trail. Glad you liked the pancakes.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Yay!!! I'm making the apple flax muffins--dd and I are going on an overnighter trail ride, and I need something easy for breakfast tomorrow--no stove to cook my eggs--so muffins it is. also, they will be easy to grab later on if we are hungry on the trail. Glad you liked the pancakes.
Thanks again! Let us know how the muffins are!
One reason I hestitate to use too much almond meal is the price. The flax was quite reasonable. I'll be using it more often.
Trail riding sounds great! When DH is back at work and we get our new budget set up I'll be looking into riding lessons for DS and probably me too. Always wanted to, never had the $. He's interested too. We have several stables around us. I called the new one that is literally around the corner and so close they can hear my rooster. But she is only boarding. No lessons yet.
I'm thinking Sunday breakfast: flax pancake with a scoop of ice cream on top, fresh berries......... mmmm!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about ricotta pancakes? It's something I'd like to try.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Javamama said:
How about ricotta pancakes? It's something I'd like to try.
Do you have a recipe? What kind of flour do they use? Sounds like another possibility and anything I can use homemade cheese in is a bonus!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I posted a recipe for almond meal ricotta pancakes on the other page.

As for almond meal prices, Trader Joes and Vitamin Cottage are your best bets. VC is less than $3/lb lately.

You can also order online from Netrition.com