need pep talk for cooking some nice lamb loin chops

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It's not so much brining as it is flavouring. When I brine, it is only for an hour, just to let the falvour soak in a bit, same with the dry rub. If you brined lamb like you do old hens and such, the meat would turn to mush, since, as you say--it is already so tender.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My usual leg of lamb recipe is: slash any expanses of fat in several places, rub oil-garlic-herbs mixture all over real good, then roast in oven til done (that is, til med-rare inside).

My husband's family's usual leg of lamb recipe is: bone and butterfly, then grill on bbq til done. (They don't use any seasonings, the heathens!, and they do it til it is well-done, but you needn't necessarily follow their example :))

Bet you're on your dogs Christmas list now, Bee :)

Pat

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
NZ lamb is really good. I have never seen anyone ever feed sheep or beef on grain. I have never seen a feedlot. Someone a few months back tried to get a consent to do one and they were told to get lost. We have lots of grass, but it doesn't really snow, so everything is outside all year round. Most of the country is near sea level, 95% of all NZers live within 30min of the beach, so we just put them out on grass and let them go.

I don't have any sheep, we are in town right now. We are saving for some land, it's not cheap here. But we can't wait until we can, we all love lamb.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My lamb was entirely grass fed but was amazingly fat! I'm interested to see if the hair sheep tastes any different the woolly breeds.

I'll be crockpotting it tonight on low, so likely it will be pretty well done. All the recipes I found didn't add any water to the pot, so I guess that is how it's done. Most just advised olive oil(I can't imagine adding any more grease to this little fatty, even though I've trimmed all the fat, it is marbled throughout), rosemary or thyme, salt, pepper, garlic.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." Marcus Aurelius
I just wanted to say I adore your sig!

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm interested to see if the hair sheep tastes any different the woolly breeds.
Merino textel lamb which is a specific wool breed, and the meat is supposed to be amazing. Awesome wool too, do you guys get that kind up your end of the world?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Thanks for the mint sauce recipe. That's more like.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hm, I'll have to try that mint sauce recipe! (Next summer when the mint is growing) Typical mint jelly has always mystified me, a) why anyone would eat it at all and b) why you would eat it with lamb specifically. Bleah. But that recipe looks more reasonable, I will have to make a small batch to see what it is like!

Thanks,

Pat

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Hm, I'll have to try that mint sauce recipe! (Next summer when the mint is growing) Typical mint jelly has always mystified me, a) why anyone would eat it at all and b) why you would eat it with lamb specifically. Bleah. But that recipe looks more reasonable, I will have to make a small batch to see what it is like!

Thanks,

Pat
:frow

Pat,
I like the old fashioned way of serving red-currant jelly with lamb or even rowan-berry jelly. I hope this year my little tree which I planted from a seed will have enough berries for a few pots....you mix it with apple to get a good set. The tree is now 6ft tall. Traditionally it used to be planted to keep the bad witches away from the home............ ;)

Hattie