Needing some encouragement - butchering chickens this weekend

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got ya, OFG, they are a little creepy. But, man! The meat they yield is amazing! Not as flavorful as my hens and roos but still very choice.

And sooooo easy to process and pluck...never saw anything like it. Compared to older birds it was like child's play. Definitely worth time spent. :)

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, today is the big day. I guess we're as ready as we're ever going to be. I will keep you posted on how it goes. :fl

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey buster! i talked about you AGAIN in the post.... you're totally famous. down at the bottom i added some stuff for a gal who was going to work on turkeys. i gave a link to your World Famous monster turkey post

:)
Awwe, shucks. Thanks, OFG. :)

Hey, Freedom Rangers are a nice alternative to the commercial X Bird. They take a little more time to grow out, but so far they are looking good and staying healthy. Takes about 12 weeks compared to the CX 8, but that extra time also equals better taste.

curcly_kate, good luck today. You're going to do great. I'm getting ready to crank out ten or so today, too. We'll be thinking about you guys.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for a good day for you! :)

just remember you are doing what billions of other people have done before you to survive (at least they had to do it) lol

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah!!! We did it!!! :weee You guys were all so right. I wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. As soon as they were dead, it was no problem at all. Honestly, DH did the largest part of the work, but I think that's because I didn't move fast enough for him, but I did help do everything besides actually killing the chicken. We processed 6, and then took a break for lunch. DH was wanting to do more after lunch, but after a bit of a rest, we decided to that the other ones "on the block" would get a reprieve.

We were a little busy to take photos of the process, but here they are, aging in the fridge.
415_chickens_in_the_fridge.jpg

So thank you guys for all the good advice! Next time it will be a piece of cake! Now I think I will take a nap. :th

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
GREAT WORK KATE!!!!

we farmy types are very very very proud of you!!!!

:)