Needing to go on a diet but....

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I work part time days and part time nights.....any ideas or suggestions? breakfast is at lunch and lunch is at supper....everything is mixed up with my schedule.....any help would be good. I'm talking about 90 pounds I need to shed, not really concerned with how quickly but I do need to see progress or I get disapointed and quit.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm no pro at dieting at all, but what has helped me in the past was to eat veggies and fruit all day as snacks. For "meal time", whatever time that may be, make a small sandwich or something a little heavier.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have never been one to specifically eat a certain food at a certain time. Sometimes I have bacon and eggs for dinner :D

I think the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to understand the actual science behind why we gain weight and what keeps us fat. I highly recommend "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes.

It will give you the solid facts and get you off the diet yoyo once and for all.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have never been one to specifically eat a certain food at a certain time. Sometimes I have bacon and eggs for dinner :D

I think the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to understand the actual science behind why we gain weight and what keeps us fat. I highly recommend "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes.

It will give you the solid facts and get you off the diet yoyo once and for all.
I second that!

And also, if you just determine to not eat any processed foods, you will have won most of the battle.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I can tell you what's working well for me.

I have 1) cut out (or severely down) all egregiously-high-carb things that I've been accustomed to eating, especially as snacks. For me, that means no more pretzels in the house :)P), tortilla chips only as a rare treat, ice cream only as rare treat, and I serve a whole lot less rice/pasta/bread/tortillas with dinner (and when we do have them, I try to minimize how much of them I eat myself)

And 2) stopped trying to limit how much "good" fats I was eating.

And 3) when I am hungry and it does not seem logical that I am REALLY hungry, I go drink a glass of water and wait a half hour and see if I'm still wanting something to eat. Often I'm not.

So, without any major changes and certainly without any complicated diet plan, I have lost a bit over 20 lbs in the past 6 months, which may not sound that great but you have to understand that this is WITHOUT PAYING ANY REAL ATTENTION TO IT AT ALL and certainly without feeling in any way food-deprived or "dieting". (Well every now and then I crave pretzels :p) I am pretty certain I will keep this weight off, too, because it is an easy and basically-appealing change in diet.

And honestly, if I would quit eating so darn much chocolate (serious dark chocolate) I would probably lose a lot more weight :p

Something like that should be pretty easy to implement no matter how odd or inconvenient your schedule.

(Also, if you are in the habit of drinking soda pop or juice, if you cut that out right now and switch to water, that *alone* will make a big difference. Although that did not apply to me)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I suck at dieting (die to mental health issues)

My new thing: I'm going to try to cut out 100 calories per day. That might be drinking water instead of milk. Or slightly smaller servings sizes. Or skipping secondsbut grabbing a piece fo fruit instead. Little things add up.

In theory. I'll let you know when I fit into my jeans. :gig

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
What Pat said...plus add more veggies to your daily diet. 6 servings of veggies, plenty of healthy fats ( extra virgin cold pressed olive oil to dress salads, coconut oil for stir fries, raw butter, whole organic milk and full fat yogurt/kefir.)

Dump ALL the processed foods and sugars you possibly can.....no pretzels, no sweetened yogurt, no granola bars, no commercial salad dressing. No 100 calorie packs and NO diet food!

You can do it! Not only will you lose weight steadily, but you will fell fantastic without all the garbage in your system.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am trying to drop 30-40 lbs. We went back to eating ONLY our own food, NOTHING processed, and we gave up all alcohol.
I also started back to the gym 3 days a week. So far, since the first of the year , I have dropped 10lbs.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto to the above. Any question about dieting will bring lots of theories, but cutting out the processed crap & high sugar is a really, really big key.
And for realio, doubling your water consumption can make a BIG difference. Most people are dehydrated without even realizing it.

For real progress, if you do the above suggestions of cutting down on your sugary & starchy stuff, measure yourself instead of focusing on your weight. That weight number can go up & down and you might see a big progress followed by none at all.

However, if you really are slimming up, the tape will show it even if you weigh the same because of water retention or muscle gain.

Plus, its a little more difficult to measure yourself than it is to jump on a scale, so you do it less often and therefore, see better results.

1 time per week, measure chest, tummy, hips & thighs.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Measure your rib cage too. It is one of the first places weight seems to fall off.