Needing to go on a diet but....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I like to have ready made breakfasts.

Crustless quiche, scotch eggs, fat bombs.... Then I grab food and mindlessly eat before I have to put enough thoughts together to cook without killing myself :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
abifae said:

Crustless quiche, scotch eggs, fat bombs.... Then I grab food and mindlessly eat before I have to put enough thoughts together to cook without killing myself :D
Fat bombs?

Do tell.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
See that is why I am pretty excited about getting steady meaningful weight loss by not eating high-carb things... because I kind of SUCK at portion control LOL

Pat
:thumbsup Cutting portions used to just make me gnaw on the furniture :gig

Low carb is the only thing that gets my appetite under control. Also no more wild blood sugar swings that used to leave me shaking and sweating if I didn't eat all the darn time.

I ate a LOT at first when I switched to low carb and still lost weight. Now I eat less because a lot of the damage I did to myself over the years is mostly repaired.

Now the only time I get wicked hungry is the day before my period. Stupid hormones :rant
Funny - I'm the opposite. I am fine with portion control as long as I measure things and put the food away before I start eating. Trying to eat low-carb (or low-fat or any other kind of eating that restricts some particular food group) leaves me craving stuff. But if I do portion control, and small frequent meals, I'm fine.

There are days I crave red meat and days I crave cheese, and days I crave chocolate chip cookies. I'm okay with that, as long as I keep my portions small. I do tend to focus on getting some protein along with any carbs just to balance out the blood sugar swings.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Dace said:
abifae said:

Fat bombs?

Do tell.
I melt together:

8 oz coconut butter
8 oz almond butter
1 stick butter (I like salted in it)

Once melted, add in dried fruits, nuts, whatever sounds good. I do lots of coconut, sunflower seeds, and unsweetened tart cherries.

Pour into whatever shaped bombs you want. You can do a 9x12 pan, muffin tins, whatever. Doesn't really matter. Refrigerate until firm.

Melt chocolate and either pour over or dip the bombs into it :D

I melt a 72% and 100% chocolate together, usually with an added half stick of butter >.>

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Dace said:
abifae said:

Fat bombs?

Do tell.
I melt together:

8 oz coconut butter
8 oz almond butter
1 stick butter (I like salted in it)

Once melted, add in dried fruits, nuts, whatever sounds good. I do lots of coconut, sunflower seeds, and unsweetened tart cherries.

Pour into whatever shaped bombs you want. You can do a 9x12 pan, muffin tins, whatever. Doesn't really matter. Refrigerate until firm.

Melt chocolate and either pour over or dip the bombs into it :D

I melt a 72% and 100% chocolate together, usually with an added half stick of butter >.>
Reminds me of making suet cakes for birds. :p

Edited for spelling.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Wifezilla said:
See that is why I am pretty excited about getting steady meaningful weight loss by not eating high-carb things... because I kind of SUCK at portion control LOL

Pat
:thumbsup Cutting portions used to just make me gnaw on the furniture :gig

Low carb is the only thing that gets my appetite under control. Also no more wild blood sugar swings that used to leave me shaking and sweating if I didn't eat all the darn time.

I ate a LOT at first when I switched to low carb and still lost weight. Now I eat less because a lot of the damage I did to myself over the years is mostly repaired.

Now the only time I get wicked hungry is the day before my period. Stupid hormones :rant
Funny - I'm the opposite. I am fine with portion control as long as I measure things and put the food away before I start eating. Trying to eat low-carb (or low-fat or any other kind of eating that restricts some particular food group) leaves me craving stuff. But if I do portion control, and small frequent meals, I'm fine.

There are days I crave red meat and days I crave cheese, and days I crave chocolate chip cookies. I'm okay with that, as long as I keep my portions small. I do tend to focus on getting some protein along with any carbs just to balance out the blood sugar swings.
:thumbsup

Yup this is me. I want to eat it all ---cause the minute I deny myself any foods, I go nutso

frequent small portions work for me throughtout the day too, eating whatever I desire.

one bad thing is we sure talk about FOOD so much on this board...surprised we don't all weigh 1000 lbs :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not good with cutting down (a little or a lot) on most things, believe me.

But for whatever reasons, and this is *not* meant as an invitation for people to trumpet their favorite explanations of the matter <g>, as long as all I'm cutting down on is big portions of simple starches and sugars, it does not bother me very much at all, especially when it means I can eat as much curry and stroganoff and bacon-fried eggs as I want :)

Yeah, obviously there are times I think "gee wouldn't it be nice to eat half a (big) bag of pretzels as I sit here at the computer" or "ah, I remember when I'd eat chinese takeout fried rice as often as was affordable/convenient".... but it is really not much different-feeling than "gee I wish I could revisit that restaurant in the Fla. Keys that had the most amazing crabcakes" or "boy it sucks that you cannot get hushpuppies up here and I am not going to make them myself because mine always turn out lousy".

(As opposed to the times I have tried to swear off icecream and chocolate, or eat low fat, which lasts about a day and a half max :p)

Everyone has their own "things", I guess; this is what works for me. I would not btw have GUESSED it would have worked for me before trying it (I did not start reducing carbs to lose weight)

Pat

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
one bad thing is we sure talk about FOOD so much on this board...surprised we don't all weigh 1000 lbs :lol:
I feel like I DO weigh 1000lbs! THAT'S why the diet change was crucial! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I so agree Pat--different for everyone truly

Key (for me) is balance. When eating the "bad" stuff I portion control like crazy thru the day so I can have what I want.....the next day I eat 100 lbs of food (the good stuff) and never gain an ounce.

If I start the day with buttermilk biscuit, butter, cheese/bacon omlete, hash browns, then the rest of the day is salads, meat, veggies.

If I eat light thru the day, then dinner can be 1/2 loaded baked potatoe with that steak I am craving lol along with some chocolate pudding for dessert.

There is never a good reason to sit down and eat 1/2 bag of pretzels while on the computer :lol: I know cause I tried it with Doritos....:lol:
and never did a darn good reason appear! :p