New chicks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
10 weeks this Thursday. Sex count of 13 chicks is 9 boys, 2 girls, and 2 I'm not sure of yet which probably means girly looking boys. It happens to me sometimes.

 Cockerels

This is the hopefully splash partridge. Will know in the next 4 weeks.
20231120_155308.jpg

Blue partridge. He's got a rather large crest. I'm hoping he stays good looking when he grows up.
20231120_155506.jpg

Pullets

Both look blue partridge. Bottom one is moorhead. Top is a normal red head.

20231120_154757.jpg
20231120_155609.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
🥰🤣 already practicing for future pictures👍❣️they are so accommodating. Very patient birds.

No one has patience for pictures like a silkie. I think their annoyed faces when I keep touching them to move just right or look at me are the best. They have to raise their head and tilt it to give me the evil eye.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My question is how the heck do you sex them at that age?

Partridge is sexable by color pretty young. Ive known those 2 were girls since 6 weeks. Most girls are easier to sex. The combs on the boys are starting to come in. Girls in my birds have very small or no comb. Tiny wattle bumps on the boys are starting to become visible. Girls don't get any wattle and they are small on boys. The boys are also noticeably bigger mostly. Pick them up and they have heft to them. The girls are fluff.

The 2 I'm not sure on are probably boys. I do get a few boys that are hard to be positive. They are only slightly bigger than the known girls.

I had one, one year, that weight, comb, and wattle identified as boy. His feathers were very girly until around 16 weeks. Then he started getting the head streamers and adult feathers.

The issue with the orange gene that pops up in partridge silkies is what usually causes the hard to sex boys.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation! I might get lucky occasionally but it sounds like you’ve figured it out!

Only on wheaten and partridge colors. I'm ok on BBS and whites.

I'm wrong a lot on mixed until they are 16-20 weeks and it's obvious.