New forum platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Whether I end up liking the new format or not, I will not leave this forum. The folks here and all of the things they have to share are what make a great forum. Right? I'm sure that once the bugs are all worked out it will be fine. There really are some nice new features and the photo storage is awesome! I also think I found a way to change the appearance, to get rid of some of the more annoying frames, like the reviews, etc. I'm going to experiment today and I'll let you know....
Well said CL! :thumbsup

I didn't care for the new format when I first visited the new BYC but I realized that I was guilty of "judging a book by it's cover" and decided to give it some time. I'm one that doesn't like change but in this instance, it's definately for the better.

A BYC CHANGE OVER REALITY.

kstaven said:
What people who are not involved in the background of BYC are not aware of is that it was move to a new platform or NO BYC!!!!!!! The old platform was overloaded and coming apart at the seams because of all the patches that had to be added to keep it going. Sooner or later it was going to blow to bits and that day wasn't far off.

So there was a choice to be made and one not taken lightly.

No doubt through the next few days there are going to have to be adjustments made due to the bulk of traffic and ensuring all databases are responding as they should. So expect some slow periods and glitches!

No doubt there is a learning curve for this platform. This would have been an issue no matter where we went. Other platforms where tested and this one was clearly the best option in order to get all the commonly requested options the members wanted.

I understand the frustration many feel. I HATED this platform on the first test. It was a HUGE change! But after seeing other options and playing here for a few weeks this was hands down the best option for the future of BYC.
Hope this helps explain some things and the part that got me the most was that if there was no longer a BYC, then there would no longer be an SS. That did it for me! ;)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that link Dawn. I hadn't seen that, but thought it might be something all those lines that I tried to point out in my post.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I was just over there and found some interesting ideas to help us folks with slow connections.

1. Turn off all the IE add-ons that you don't use. Under tools - manage add-ons in the menu bar
2 On your profile page, if you are a member, under edit account details, scroll to Site Preferences and check "remove homepage carousel" then scroll down to Forum Preferences and check all the boxes. I checked all except the first one. The default editor is fine.

It definitely seem to have helped the speed at which I am able to navigate around the site.

Hang in there!!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Moxie - Switched over to chrome and this sight flies. BYC still a little slow, but better than IE. And I like that Chrome has spell check!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Chrome and Firefox are all I use anymore, I can't stand IE.
I thought that the site change over wasn't just cosmetic, most people will leave well enough alone unless it gets to the point that it has to be changed.
Change is always hard, even if it is necessary.
And this change didn't even involve paying money, LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Adapting to change is one our of strong points here on SS....as is resisting anything that seems to complicate our lives. I'll think we'll be doing both when this forum is forced to change to the new format.

Oh, well....such is life.... :rolleyes:

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that these forums have been patched and custom programmed to try to keep up with new browsers and browser updates. We have hit the end of what can be done and without a move this forum is going to see more and more glitches and database issues. It was known a year ago as BYC gradually became more issue plagued. It would have soon become a daily task for Rob and the techs to keep it from going down for good.

This is the side of the equation that you guys don't see. It started as a punbb platform then to fluxbb and with all the patches has turned into FrankenBB. :ep

If you look at it this way you will understand.

You also have the bonus of all the bugs being worked out with BYC before this site gets converted. :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
kstaven said:
The biggest problem is that these forums have been patched and custom programmed to try to keep up with new browsers and browser updates. We have hit the end of what can be done and without a move this forum is going to see more and more glitches and database issues. It was known a year ago as BYC gradually became more issue plagued. It would have soon become a daily task for Rob and the techs to keep it from going down for good.

This is the side of the equation that you guys don't see. It started as a punbb platform then to fluxbb and with all the patches has turned into FrankenBB. :ep

If you look at it this way you will understand.

You also have the bonus of all the bugs being worked out with BYC before this site gets converted. :D
Very good point! :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.