New guy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! For that introduction we should give you bonus points ;)

I cannot imagine raising 11 children… I have one, only one, and he's handful enough!

I think the more the easier... I mean they play with each other so you got more time to do the parenting than be a playmate. That's just my opinion of course and I'm sure many will disagree with me on this one (don't throw darts at me please)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crealbilly you got my points. Wow someone got me beat on younguns'. We have four grown kids and three still at home (adopted) and a grandson we've raised and are in the process of adopting him and oh yeah, six grandkids altogether. I've got chickens but no turkeys. Do you have separate places for your chickens and turkeys?

Yes I keep them separated chickens have their yard and turkeys have theirs. Since I let a few of my buff orpengton hens sits on eggs - I have an excess of roosters and I would guess about 50 chickens. I put the young roosters in the turkey yard and feed them high protein meat bird feed until I'm ready to eat them. The older hens I'll process to eat once the younger hens come into lay, I'll only keep my very productive rooster and 15 or 16 hens though the winter.

I have burbon red turkeys but only keep just one Tom and two hens through the winter. My hens are currently busy sitting on clutches, hopefully we'll have several turkeys to eat this winter. I'm a bit of a turkey-a-holic... Love me some heritage turkey meat.

IMG_20170707_194131536.jpg

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is obsessed with his turkeys. His next mission is to try to get a few bourbon reds. But we've been so happy with the temperament of the chocolates we might just stick with them.

I agree, heritage turkeys are DELICIOUS!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi & welcome crealbilly. Good to have you here.

Please post some pics from your place.

Also, I for one — and I believe I’m just one of many — would love to see pics of your DIY "makings & buildings". Y’know, everything from shelters & outbuildings to contrivances, devices, contraptions, adaptations, set-ups, etc!

Welcome! What kind of turkeys do you have? My husband and I have chocolate turkeys (as well as chickens, goats and pigs).

Ok you got me envious - I would like to have other animals for meat but I know I don't have the husbandry skills - book learning only goes so far and nothing is better than hands on experience...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most definitely!!!! Anyone with that many kids deserves a trophy at least once a month anyway. :D I'm the youngest of 9...I know of which I speak. Takes a special couple to raise that many of their own and then take on more. :woot

Welcome from the other side of Egypt here in WV...not in the middle of nowhere but you can sure see it from here. :welcome Glad to have you!

Wow what a small world... Where in WV? I was born in Davy WV in-between a hill and a holler in the early 60's. My folks moved to northern IL in when I was like 2 years old moved so my dad could have a good job. I grew up on cornbread and pinto beans and have lots of kin in Davy, Welch, Coal wood area.

We might be kin and don't even know it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is obsessed with his turkeys. His next mission is to try to get a few bourbon reds. But we've been so happy with the temperament of the chocolates we might just stick with them.

I agree, heritage turkeys are DELICIOUS!
They sure are... Nothing at all like broad breasted / butter ball. So much more Delicious even the texture is better.

City folks just don't know what their missing and we won't tell them either!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow what a small world... Where in WV? I was born in Davy WV in-between a hill and a holler in the early 60's. My folks moved to northern IL in when I was like 2 years old moved so my dad could have a good job. I grew up on cornbread and pinto beans and have lots of kin in Davy, Welch, Coal wood area.

We might be kin and don't even know it.

Could be! My dad was from Wyoming Co., down Huff Creek way. Right now I live nearer to Parkersburg but my heart is over in Pendleton County. Lots to love in WV, huh?