New Here.... Need Advice

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
If you haven't had much luck in the garden, stick with just a few easy ones that you like to eat. We have spent lots of money in the past on started plants that never even provided as much food as I could have bought in the grocery for that much money. Zuchinni is really easy, radishes are easy, basil is easy....if you have any gardening friends that can really help. If they say they can't get tomatos to grow in your area very well, don't try them this year while things are so tight. Also, fellow gardeners can share things with you. Anything for free is worth a try but if you are going to buy it and water it make sure you can keep it alive and actually get the produce from it or it isn't worth it.

Hubbys can cook from scratch, too, you know.

We got a bread machine and I believe we are saving a lot on our bread as well as having much better quality.

When we are really broke, I make tamales and beans because that feeds my family a long time for very little money and they like to eat that. I also make a lot of soup because that makes a small piece of meat feed a lot of people and if you serve it with some nice crusty homemade bread it is really good and hearty dinner for cheap.

S

sunsaver

:welcome I have spent the last 10 years learning how to grow almost anything in the vegetable world. I seldom have work, and so i live almost exclusively off of my own food production. Like SD said, buying plants is a losing proposition. All greens, beans, and squashes and cucumbers are easily grown directly from seed sown into the garden. I like to buy cheap, open-pollinated seeds from the dollar store. I also save my own seeds and own several generations of various types of vegetables. I've been gardening organically for over 20 years, and would love to help anyone who wants to tap my personal experience. Of course, most all of us here are experienced gardeners and farmers, so you've hit the jack-pot of moneysaving ideas. Welcome MSM!:)

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi, neighbor. It is definitely not too late to start a garden in TN. Tomatoes are something that grows great here. It is late for starting plants from seed but you can buy a few plants then root suckers (plants that grow up between the base of the plant and the leaf) to have some more tomatoes. I can them, make juice, salsa, etc but you can also just drop them in the freezer, thaw slightly and the peeling comes right off and you can use them all winter. Corn takes a lot of room to grow but you can find it in season at the farmer's market or maybe you can check online for some you pick places near Memphis. If you like it on the cob you can cut the ends off, remove a few outer shucks and freeze with the shucks on, easy peasy and tastes really fresh. Plant you a few herbs in pots (basil is my fav and not only can you use them now you can bring them in to use this winter.) Greens do well in the fall and early spring as does lettuce so you can extend the use of your limited garden space. You can grow potatoes in a small space by using tires or a garbage can minus the bottom. Plant potatoes in bottom and as they grow, keeping adding dirt. After they bloom and start to die down you can remove the container and harvest them.

Around Forrest City & Wynn, Arkansas 40 miles or so west of you are some great peach orchards and they used to allow pick your own. Strawberries are ready now and blue berries will be ready later on.

This is a great site and you will get a lot of ideas on here. Welcome.

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am deff. going to get tomatos, they grow like crazy here. There is a peach orchard here, not sure about the pick your own though. There is a strawberry patch that is pick your own around the Agricenter, there is also a farmers market there but it seems everything is higher there than the grocery store. Don't know maybe it is just me since I don't usually buy in bulk. So tomatos are on the list. Going to try and get some summer squash, cucumbers, watermelon, and pole beans that are already started.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food is cheaper in America than anywhere else. I think it's around 10% of median income or something like that. Most other countries are 25% or higher.

If you're trying to save money, you have to look at the whole picture and find the most effective places to cut. Demand recipts, save them for a few months, and figure out where money is going. Cutting the grocery budget may make you FEEL the pinch, which always makes it harder to stick to your resolutions.

In my food budget, I do avoid expensive things, such as salad-in-a-bag, meats, bread, junk food, and "cereal".

Still, cooking food is a good idea. I don't think it actually takes more time than anything else and it certainly is cheaper than eating out or consuming the many food-like products that are so available. However, it certainly takes a lot more knowldege, and that doesn't come overnight.

S

sunsaver

I live almost completely Self sufficient, so most of my budget goes to food. Saving money for me at this point would mean trading eggs for butter, or grinding my own flour. I dont have room for grass or wheat, so i must pack in lots of productive veggies. Grains, corn, and grass use too much space and energy.
For normal people, cutting your energy consumption is the best way to save money. A few simple changes can save hundreds of dollars per year. CFL or LED lighting, energy star appliances, caulking and insulation, point of use water heaters, etc.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MSM - you have received some wonderful replies to your original question. Especially savingdogs' lists, tortoise's ideas and others.

Does stay-at-home-dad do the cooking? Does he do the grocery shopping and housekeeping? If not, ask yourself (and him) why not. Please do not think I'm making any accusations here but I have seen several arrangements like that and the guy is usually looking for a free ride. OK, I know there are many legitimate and very good reasons for the Mr. Mom concept. But my experience tells me that there are also many opportunities for the guy to be lazy.

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My dh did work up until I had dd and we decided we did not want her in daycare ect. At that point he was working at a car repair shop and I am a sleep technician. I made the most money and had healthcare so it was more logical for me to work and him to stay home since he made minimum wage and no healthcare. I stayed home for 3 months with pay (my boss is awesome) and then went back to work. DH does the cleaning,laundry,child care, simple meals (lunch & sometimes breakfast), car maintance, yard work, and household fix its. We do grocery shopping together on the weekends. I cook dinner and breakfast when I get home from work (I work at night). He did try to do the dinner thing but after seeing he struggled with hamburger helper and many other things I decided I would do dinner. This and some cleaning on weekends is about all I really have to do besides care of my DD which we both do. I have it pretty easy actually and kinda feel bad for him having to do everything.

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We save money on groceries by only buy whats on sale with a matching coupon. Try to find a store that doubles coupons I wish we had some around here. Buy food that is on outer walls of the store. If you notice all store are setup the same deli, seafood dairy bakery meat dept produce are all on the outside walls. The middle of the store is all prepacked items.
Try making your own breads

do gardening (container garden for small spaces).

Go to the farmers market about hour before they close the farmers don't want to bring whats left back home so they'll sell it for a cheaper price.

If you have a skill try barting that for something. you said your husband worked on cars maybe he could do it on the side.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. My husband stayed home with my son while I went to school pregnant with my second and landed a job. I was bringing home the bacon and when I came home to a clean house, laundry done and dinner cooked I felt bad too. Then I said, why should I? He gets to play with our son all day and clean at his lesiure. If hes not going to work, he needs to pay for daycare and a maid! ;)

I don't know how you cook, but if you use a lot of fresh herbs that is a BIG expense. Pot up some herbs (I shove all mine in one pot..they stay small but are perfect for cooking) and use those to your advantage.

Also, check out farmers markets, and go towards the end. Sometimes they don't want to take produce back with them, and you can haggle them a little bit. Understand you'd be buying in bulk, and freezing. Look into local farms around you as well.

For the biscuits, make the dough to last you a week on your day off, portion them off and freeze them. You just made store biscuits for a fraction of the price!! Pull them out of the freezer, and into your oven as you need them! I do the same with pancakes, which is a staple for my 3 year old.

Look into food preservation.