Lynn Manes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Lynn in California, and a member of BYC. My new hubby of 5 months,Michael, & I started a little mini farm two years ago. We raise chickens & ducks for eggs, quail for both eggs & meat, and rabbits for meat also, although I must admit two things: I've turned 4 of them into pets, & I hate raising rabbits, but I do love rabbit stew :) We are also virgin preppers. We both have overflowing bugout bags, a good starter supply of purchased 25 yr shelf life canned meat that probably tastes terrible, and vacuum sealed bags of powdered goose, duck, chicken & quail eggs which we make ourselves. We love freshwater fishing, and eat what we catch. I'm hoping soon to learn to hunt big game like wild boar & deer to add to our freezers. We both love the outdoors and camping. I love gardening herbs, and wouldn't mind gardening somewhere else, but haven't had much luck at it here. I'm a fine artist by trade and Michael is a retired chef. We have 6 tiny dogs, a parakeet, a cockatiel we recently inherited & 2 desert tortoises. Although she still lives in her own home, we take care of my 89 yr old Mother. When the time comes that she can no longer live alone, we will sell out, move to another State, buy a larger home for the 3 of us on more land, so I can raise more chickens, ducks and quail. I'm looking to get away from our excruciatingly hot and long summers and back to a cooler climate where it rarely snows in the Winter. Does such a place exist? Lol We live a quiet, but busy life. Hoping to make new friends and share and learn here.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow Glad you joined us over here! Such places as you describe, do exist, I live in one :) But it's WET. Always a compromise!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Lynn,

Welcome to SS! Nice to have you with us, and thank you for that great "newsy" introduction. It's always nice to learn what others are doing.

PA has many of the requirements you and your hubby are looking for, except it also has snow! Hate it!

Canned meat...Have you tried Grabill Meats? I just bought some of there ground beef and turkey to add to my emergency supplies. I did a lot of reading about canned meats before I decided to buy Grabill. They cook their meat with nothing but a little salt and pepper in it's natural juices. It's not organic, but canned organic meat costs an arm and a leg. I am going to try their ground beef for the first time tonight. I made some "quick chili" mixing a 13oz can with a jar of our mild black bean salsa. Tomorrow, I want to make turkey salad. I'm hoping it lives up to the reviews I've read. If so, I'll add more.

Where in CA do you live? My son lives in San Jacinto.

Once again, welcome!
Jim

Lynn Manes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi Lynn,

Welcome to SS! Nice to have you with us, and thank you for that great "newsy" introduction. It's always nice to learn what others are doing.

PA has many of the requirements you and your hubby are looking for, except it also has snow! Hate it!

Canned meat...Have you tried Grabill Meats? I just bought some of there ground beef and turkey to add to my emergency supplies. I did a lot of reading about canned meats before I decided to buy Grabill. They cook their meat with nothing but a little salt and pepper in it's natural juices. It's not organic, but canned organic meat costs an arm and a leg. I am going to try their ground beef for the first time tonight. I made some "quick chili" mixing a 13oz can with a jar of our mild black bean salsa. Tomorrow, I want to make turkey salad. I'm hoping it lives up to the reviews I've read. If so, I'll add more.

Once again, welcome!
Jim
Hi Lynn,

Once again, welcome!
Jim
Jim, we are in Bakersfield, CA. Bakersfield is about a half million in population, agri and oil are the top industries here. Summers range from around 103° on a "cool" day to around 113°+. We get rain in Winter, but have been in a 6 yr drought, so haven't seen much of that here either through those years. But no snow, which I like. This is an unhealthy place to live, as we have the 2nd worst air quality in the Country. Sad. We are just 2 hrs drive N over the mountain from Los Angeles and live in the San Joaquin Valley. Years ago, people here blamed L.A.'s smog, saying it was infiltrating us, which might have been partially true, but I've lived here 35 yrs now an d have seen this poplation quadruple, so now I don't think we can put that blame on anyone else. We like to get away to the mountains for fresh air as much as possible.We've never tried the Grabill Products you mentioned. We bought our canned meats from Survival Life, I believe. We didn't try them. Figured if we are ever in an emergency situation where we need food badly, we'll eat it whether we actually like it or not. Lol. It has a 25 yr shelf life.

Lynn Manes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for your welcome Sumi. I can take wet as in rain, just not snow :) Are you in the U.S.? I want to live on only about 10 acres, but be surrounded by woodlands; and Michael said we must be close to a lake, river, stream, etc. to fish :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome from Texas! Rarely snows here south of Houston - but the summers are B.R.U.T.A.L!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Northeast Texas ain't too bad.....LOL Summers are hot, but that's why air conditioning was invented. Winters are mild, we had snow 2 winters ago-it lasts 2-3 days, then melts and goes away. I like that kind of snow, just enough to make it fun, but not enough to be a pain in the backside.

Sell out now, while prices are stupid high, take the money and RUN. Find another state that is more people friendly with lower prices and cost of living.

http://www.landsoftexas.com/property/5751-E-US-HWY-80-Hawkins-Texas-75765/3476615

http://www.landsoftexas.com/property/3803-VZ-County-Road-4907-Ben-Wheeler-Texas-75754/3337207

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks for your welcome Sumi. I can take wet as in rain, just not snow :) Are you in the U.S.? I want to live on only about 10 acres, but be surrounded by woodlands; and Michael said we must be close to a lake, river, stream, etc. to fish :)
Rain, yes, frequent and lots of it this time of the year, but the snow (if we get any) is little and our winters and summers are very mild. I'm fortunate to live in Ireland. Been here since June last year. Woodlands and lakes we got plenty of for you ;)