New Member Introductions - Questions

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SufficientSelf! :frow

Charles Vise

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Please note: answering these questions are optional. These are just some things we'd like to know about you, your interests/hobbies/ skills, etc. Feel free to add or dismiss anything :)

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Middle Louisiana - Summers are hot, and winters are cold !

2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
I have been reading Mother Earth News since the first edition, then many other similar magazines. Plus, I was raised on a farm, and I love to pound hot metal on my anvil.

3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
I keep a couple months supply of emergency food on hand at all times(in case of hurricanes). I would also like to learn more of canning fruits and veggies.

4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
But, of course !

5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I manufacture windshield repair equipment, and set up folks in 3rd Wold Countries to earn a living repairing windshields

6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
The key word here is LEGALLY... But I do have some chickens.

7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I like growing ocra, corn, greens, tomatoes... I am also growing some Satsuma orange trees, but still too young to produce

8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Explosives ! HAHAHAHA I grow worms for bait. I also fish for Tilapia when I am in Asia. Although these are grown on farms, these can still be caught wild.

9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
I have 1/2 acre in town where I live, and 8 acres in the country

10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
I dabble in Blacksmithing, welding, and metal casting. Am I any good? Hmmm.

11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
I have built a nice house that my ex wife and her husband enjoy. Right now I am restoring an older home. I like to build other stuff, too, such as cabinets and shelves. My 12 year old and I are building some bunk beds.

12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Yes, and I swear by CBD oil

13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
In the mountains of Mindanao, Philippines

14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
not at the moment, but i will install one before winter

15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
yes, I love to cook. I like cooking with food I have grown.

16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
I hunt SOME, but I really hate to say goodbye to the animal I have killed. I do it less and less.
But I love to eat meat ! haha ! So I depend on local hunters to supply my needs

17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
Gardening, trapping, hunting, metal working, mechanical, carpentry

18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? i installed water heater panels on my ex-wife's house, and plan to do so on mine.

19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
I have not, but I would like to. When I lives with my brother in law on his farm in Philippines, he had minimal electricity

20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
I sure do!

21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

I dont know... I've been living this way since I was a child....

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

mid-Michigan USA, all four seasons, usually enough rain, we have a good well so in a drought i can water. it gets well below freezing here during the winter at times so perennial plants have to be able to tolerate that.

growing up poorer and sometimes hungry but also just naturally analytical and curious so any time i could figure out how to fix something or reuse something it was great. also growing food and plants for fun, learning about biology as much as i could, studying sciences, etc... i love bugs, plants, animals of all kinds. i had a few great older people in the neighborhood to talk to about plants as a kid and since i would rather talk to them than most of the kids around that was my social thing too. also, i was taught to cook and help can/put up things from a pretty early age, it was fun and so that also got me into cooking at a young age. also experimenting (sometimes accidents happened sorry Mom lol green food coloring on the white painted wood ceiling... oops)...

3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?

income, consumption as much as possible of things we grow vs. things to have to buy at the store, unfortunately Mom is very picky about a lot of vegetables so i only focus on things we will eat, i could be doing a lot more but i don't want to grow things just for me to eat that she won't unless it is just a few items here or there (turnips and a few greens). we are fully sufficient in pickles :) last year we grew between 800 - 1200 lbs of pickling cucumbers. dill was grown here. we grow a lot of tomatoes to be eaten fresh or put up as chunks, we are not fully SS for those, but pretty good. we give away a lot of things we grow just to make sure it does not go to waste. peppers, onions, beans, peas and strawberries are the other main crops i try to grow. i can eat fresh beans and peas from the pods (or pods themselves) any time i'm in the garden and they are there. we are not SS in carrots or potatoes. not sure i even want to try harder on those, guess i would rather use the space for things that are more expensive or that i really like to eat fresh instead (beans and peas are like the default filler crop once we've decided where to grow the tomatoes and other garden veggie plants).

beans and peas are so good i can always grow more of those, but i'm also limited in space with about an acre of gardens and decorations to plant within.

5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

i enjoy teaching anyone how to garden using natural and cheap methods. will talk gardens, beans and worms endlessly if you don't hit my pause or reset button. :) *boops my own nose* see... that's how ya do it! :)

6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

yes, but my livestock is worms only. Mom is not into animals other than seeing them outside and she's much more after animals i would prefer to leave alone or find other ways to deal with, but she does not want to, so i have to do some hunting to keep their populations under control. since i am not the land owner i try to work with her to improve things and that is gradually happening, but a long ways to go too.

flowers for sure! many different plants here, i really cannot list them all easily, i've tried... hundreds of bean varieties, peas, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cucumbers, peppers, squash, dill, strawberries. i could live outside all day in the summer if my body could tolerate it, working on gardens, working on projects. i pretty much now live for gardening in any spare time i have and love it so much. it gets me out of the house and working with nature is so facinating, as also is watching clouds and napping. :)

we joke about the swings and benches we have around because we so rarely actually use them. too busy doing. :)

i used to when i lived up north where the streams were cold water and cleaner. down here it is too polluted in many areas and i don't want to walk those streams/rivers(mud vs. rocks). i used to keep aquariums (fresh water and salt water/reef).

almost two acres (400ft by 200ft) country. see website www.anthive.com for details and garden layouts and plenty of pictures. :)

10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

gardening for sure. i would love to have a mechanic buddy to teach me how to fix and do things with metals and wood, but i have no shop space here. every time i want to fix something i usually can't because it involves tools i don't have or space i don't have. it is a small house and i'm full up on things here in the room, so anything that comes in means i have to find something else which goes out... gradually i am decluttering and recycling old papers and books. i love books so i have shelves of books on various topics for the greattacolips or collapse of swivilization... chemistry, physics, biology, animal care, first aid, plants and gardening, how to books and also books for fun reading. and old college texts i no longer need so i should recycle them into worm food or find another home for them.

allergic/reactive to sawdust/wood. *sobs* still will do some if needed. can build and plan most small projects or restore things if needed.

not really other than in the chemistry aspects of making tinctures and potions (explosive not intentional). because of my reactiveness to so much i avoid juices or concentrates of plants unless i'm testing something out to see how bad i'll react to it or if it safe.

in the middle of at least a square mile of mixed forest and open fields. i can't afford that ever, so that's just a daydream. to protect from all the farm field spraying that is always going on around us and the abuse of the environment.

no, would love to have a rocket stove and fireplace for those, but we are too reactive to wood smoke...

15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?

grew up cooking and helping out, love to cook and experiment, well versed several cuisines, no fear of attempting any recipe including making up things that others will likely never be willing to try. very few failures or things that i find inedible (liver soup is the one i joke about). yes, whole foods and things that i recognize as food without processing too much. raw milk yogurts would be fantastic and same with cheeses or eggs. we don't do any of those things here though.

i've gotten morel mushrooms to grow here. :) yum! if you want to see how that happened check out my website fungi project.

will power and analytical puzzle solving.

18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?

wish, yes but do not know how or when yet.

yes, in my car, tent camping for months/years at a time and also at more relaxed homes of friends in the woods helping them out.

sure. :) you ever priced a box of good custom chocolates? cookies, pastries, a lot of dishes in general... etc.
what is the price you would pay for a quart of naturally grown tomato chunks, pickles, strawberry jam, etc? that can add up to a lot of $ through the year and tastes so much better!

21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

no, i'm squeaky tight and always have been since i was young enough to do my own work to make some $. asap i learned saving and investing and continue that to this day. it is how i've gotten to where i am and how i was able to retire so early from the job that was fun but was not active enough or biologically/naturally aware. Computer Science was not a bad choice for me intellectually because it was great for the logical/puzzle solving aspects, but i'd grown up so much aware of the natural world and garden and such that i really should have gone for a more agricultural or biological carreer, but then if i'd done that i may not have ended up as free as i am now of any restrictions. i love that i can usually do most of what i want when i want. i'm terribly spoiled and mostly happy. who can really ask for more? especially when i look around the world and see so many who are in much worse circumstances and in need of help. i'm willing to help anyone else out in growing and gardening or learning anything i can teach them. i have a lot of dreams and flexibility about what i may do in the future. i am not sure yet if i will remain here or not once Mom no longer needs me. the future will be interesting no matter what. :) hugs, peace and love to all, yes i'm one of those hippy people. haha... :)

SunshyneCooks2

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Please note: answering these questions are optional. These are just some things we'd like to know about you, your interests/hobbies/ skills, etc. Feel free to add or dismiss anything :)

18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
I am from CA but have lived in AZ for 18 years this August. I enjoy growing my own fruits and vegetables as well as some herbs. I like being able to preserve, can, and dehydrate various foods. When I can get a lot of food on sale real inexpensive or from our local food bank I put it up. I have made chutneys, sauces, jams, jellies, own seasoning blends, breads, cakes, etc.in
I used to have chickens but live among copper tailings now. Used to have a nice acre lot and decent sized garden area but now am learning how to container garden. I would like to live in the country by a stream where we could fish, enjoy nature, enjoy the peacefulness, privacy, but not be too far from the town or city. I enjoy sewung, crafts, and outside work but am not sufficient enough to teach. We do not have a wood stove. When able we like to drive to the mountains to pick here is and get Spriby water. I look forward to learning new ways and ideas to be more self sufficient.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am from CA but have lived in AZ for 18 years this August. I enjoy growing my own fruits and vegetables as well as some herbs. I like being able to preserve, can, and dehydrate various foods. When I can get a lot of food on sale real inexpensive or from our local food bank I put it up. I have made chutneys, sauces, jams, jellies, own seasoning blends, breads, cakes, etc.in
I used to have chickens but live among copper tailings now. Used to have a nice acre lot and decent sized garden area but now am learning how to container garden. I would like to live in the country by a stream where we could fish, enjoy nature, enjoy the peacefulness, privacy, but not be too far from the town or city. I enjoy sewung, crafts, and outside work but am not sufficient enough to teach. We do not have a wood stove. When able we like to drive to the mountains to pick here is and get Spriby water. I look forward to learning new ways and ideas to be more self sufficient.

you will fit right in here. WELCOME