New 'scovy regs - have you seen? UPDATED with pic

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Man, I REALLY want to get 'scovies before they make it impossible. I'm in TX too. Saw an ad last spring on CL to get 'em before it was illegal for $145 a pair!!!!!!

I'm afraid I could never pay that. All I gotta do is walk casually by the local drive-in hamburger place near the water -- there are three scovies living there that beg food from people all day. I'd be tempted except being raised on a diet of fast food burgers -- probably NOT healthy birds!
ohmigosh!!! $145!!! heck i'd sell 'em for $25 a pair and still feel good about it!

Hen23 - the cuteness is just slayin' me. Miss Dash needs a walkabout each day so i take care of junior while she toddles around. and yes i put him in my bra. that little one is the snuggliest of all! i just walk around with him in my shirt.. he's happy and the dog thinks i'm nuts.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate disagreeing with my bud OFG, but... :lol:

It is currently (as of March 1) illegal to own or sell muscovies for anything other than for sale as food. Thanks to the avalanche of input from largely BYCers, the Fish & Wildlife folks decided to take another look. The new proposed changes are...

You do not need a permit to acquire, possess, or sell properly-marked, captive-reared muscovy ducks or their eggs;

You may not release muscovy ducks to the wild or to any location used by wild ducks; and

You may not sell or distribute muscovy ducks as pets. Muscovy
ducks have been sold as pets and given as prizes, activities we intend to disallow. However, we do not consider muscovy show ducks to be pets.

Personally, I like these changes to the rule and don't see why anyone would be opposed to them.

But then, I don't keep birds as pets. I just processed the closest two birds to pets I have ever owned, largely because they started to feel too much like pets and thus contrary to my long term goals. Maybe I would feel differently if I did.

I do see Muscovies as threats to migratory fowl. Mine is very aggressive when looking for love and tends to beat out the much smaller ducks on the place. If he got hold of some wild females, I could see how that would be a problem, since the resultant mules would be sterile. It is this that is apparently harming the wild duck population.

They needed controlling, but the March rules went too far. These new rules are much better. Even if you do keep one for a pet, how is anyone going to know you aren't keeping it for meat or eggs or show?

[Sorry, OFG. Hope we are still friends.]

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
are you kidding? we are brothers in (axe) arms! of course we are still pals!

my problem with these is that, as originally written, they were over reaching. we dont have the same problem up here as the hard winters can put a lid on some of the released ones. and i think they are using inappropriate legislation to solve a problem.

are the new rules better? oh yes, especially for folks like me.

but i still aint lettin' that Ag guy in my dang yard
;-)

Latest posts