New season prepping and planting

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What are you all doing to prepare gardening wise and planning to grow this spring/summer?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze, haven't even got into my garden much yet. I have radishes, carrots, onions, a few spring pea plants so far. I want to find an area to plant some big vining crops - squash and pumpkins for the pigs and chickens - and for people use too. Zucchini for sure....green beans...okra...some beans/peas for dry use...

Lots of ideas for sure. Grandkids are here for spring break so I'll give them an area of their own to plant. They get excited about that!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This will be a season when I'm "lucky" to get anything planted, so it seems. Weather has been up & down. Several over warm days in Feb, plum tree bloomed. Cold in March, with wind storms. Small fruit sets gone! April warm then 3 days of 30-32 degree mornings, jarred young tree & veg leaves. Now rain past 10 days -- every day! -- too muddy to plow. :barnie
:idunnogarden when? Grass is growing , however. But, cool & rain ok for that, except warm weather grasses, so some pastures are still "on hold". Strange weather for many. I think most areas are in a turmoil. If you planted, unless they can swim, many plants would die off.

Grocery prices will be on the rise because the big commercial farms are having same type problems. It's going to be an interesting year, for sure.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I still have areas of my garden to finish getting ready. I had hoped to do it today, but it's going to rain, at least in the morning. However, if they're right and it clears up this afternoon, I may be able to do some work. That's one advantage to my soil, it drains fairly quickly. And basically, all I need to do is pull weeds. It's just going to take awhile since there's a ton of them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with the crazy, negative gardening weather. I can't complain about this week - it's been gorgeous but rain in the forecast starting Monday. I've got tomatoes in big tubs and they're doing ok. I got 3 small "Sweet 100's" in my MOUTH yesterday! Nothing yet from the bigger tomatoes except blooms. And - so far - I'm afraid to say this out loud....no stinkin' stink bugs. Not holding my breath that it'll be that way for long because I did see one a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't flying and it sat very still for me to squish it. Maybe all the rain killed off the eggs? I dunno - but it would be a miracle if they had a bad year. A miracle that I would love!

I had potatoes up and looking good, but they drowned. Green beans drowned. Corn isn't looking real happy, but it's hanging in there. I need to spend a couple days in there doing some more mulching and re-planting. I'm going to get some barn soil and side dress the tomatoes with that. I broke down and bought some pepper plants so I'll be planting those this evening.

I haven't given up...just think I'm going to have to figure out some alternative gardening plans.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The weather has been crazy this year? A friend in the States told me a few days ago they had more than an inch of snow :th

My storage box garden is doing well so far, but I got a bit worried yesterday with the rain, that they may drown, so went and covered them. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for these hail showers we're getting at the moment. Small stones they are, but the carrot seedlings are so tiny, I don't think they'd manage.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I closed on my land just in the nick of time to start a garden. It's a smaller garden this year. With work and just moving in I simply don't have the time to do a large garden.

But I did manage to get cucumbers, spinach, a few ghost pepper and habanaroe plants as well as a few tomatos and I'll be putting in sweet corn and green beans sometime this month.

I picked up a dozen two year old asparagus roots and put them in their own bed. And planted a couple raspberry bushes as well as strawberries out front.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You'll have to post pics when things get going! :pop

Finally, the sun is coming out after 8 days! I'm heading out so excited I don't know what to do first, but I want to get my tomatoes in the ground. We could still get a frost, but I'll cover them if one threatens in the next couple of weeks.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What region are you in MoonShadows?

I need to get out and weed. But it's raining.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in Northeast Pennsylvania, just about where PA, NY and NJ come together, and just a few miles from the beautiful Delaware Water Gap. Zone 6a.

We had a good day today outside. Finished screwing in the angle brackets to secure the greenhouse to the timbers, anchored the electric box in the greenhouse, got some grass cut, cleaned the poop board in the chicken coop, got our tomatoes in the ground and planted water melons, cantaloupes, pumpkins and mint. Our lettuce and scallions are sprouting...still waiting to see signs of our basil and parsley.