New season prepping and planting

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love seeing it grow, especially the little peppers. I really didn't know what to expect from them, with this crazy weather and temps all over the place. The strawberries should be edible soonish, I can't wait!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Jap beetles eating the spuds and young apple trees, so put up a trap from last year's bait. Within a half hour had an inch of beetles in the bottom of the bag. Gave those to the flock and they were quickly turned into tomorrow's eggs and poop. Will likely trap more each day.

Dusted the taters with sulfur dust for the beetles and slugs....saw some bloom on the taters. Also dusted the ground around the strawberries with sulfur for the tiny slugs that are eating the berries.

Planted more corn in the spaces where it failed to germinate last time when I planted it during cold weather...the first corn is knee high or better. Also planted more watermelon, lettuce, spinach, carrots and half runner beans.

Suckered tomatoes and picked strawberries, wove the tomato vines through the cattle panels.

Everything is looking green and seems to be growing well now and we are supposed to get a little rain all week and next week, interspersed with hot weather and sunshine, so the garden should grow well.

Cicada hatch is nearly over, so I uncovered the apple saplings only to find them covered with Japanese beetles, so if it isn't one thing it's another.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why don't the dad-burned bugs go eat something we don't want?? :he

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Guess they like the taste of our food the same way we do! :D Bugs gotta eat.

Can't wait to garden during the Millennium when I won't have to deal with pests and weeds in the garden any longer. Imagine what I can grow then? :th

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Beekissed I feel your pain. I finally got some tomato seedlings up and ended up feeding bugs :he I've put a few more seeds in, so here's hoping?

The rest of the plants are doing well. The beans were not thrilled with the rain (too much of a good thing), the potatoes are happy, strawberries are doing great, as are the carrots and the peppers are growing :)