New season prepping and planting

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I closed on my land just in the nick of time to start a garden. It's a smaller garden this year. With work and just moving in I simply don't have the time to do a large garden.

But I did manage to get cucumbers, spinach, a few ghost pepper and habanaroe plants as well as a few tomatos and I'll be putting in sweet corn and green beans sometime this month.

I picked up a dozen two year old asparagus roots and put them in their own bed. And planted a couple raspberry bushes as well as strawberries out front.
We moved last February. I put in a garden, but it was a dismal failure. This year is shaping up to be a success. I wish you the best with your new garden!

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moon. I worked around Towanda for a while after high school. Long winters there.

Bay, this garden is turning into a success of sorts. The peppers and everything else in the main garden are doing wonderfully. But the strawberries are heaving instead of taking root.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know Towanda, but it is about 300 miles from where I live. I believe Corning had/has a plant there.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok. I was only there for like six months before I started working in WV. So I'm not really familiar with it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My sister worked in Towanda for a few months. She had a co-op job there in '79.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool. A little before my time I'm afraid.

I was in that part of the country just as the gas boom started to dip a few years ago.

Back onto topic a lol bit. So the strawberries I planted are not doing too well. One plant is already dead and the others are looking pretty poor. It almost looks like they are heaving themselves out of the soil instead of taking root.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nothing like suicidal strawberries to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder if I didn't give them enough drainage? I may have gone a little heavy on the composted manure.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With all this weird weather, too much rain, etc., has ANYONE got anything working well? Sure need a good garden fix. Never seen such poor weather this time of year. Too warm, too cold, too much rain/wind, all at the wrong times!!! Not even ONE plum on my tree...and it's usually full.

Guess we can expect drought all summer because it has sure seemed to have rained itself out! Feed & hay will be very, very expensive this winter. Groceries, too.

I'm full of eggs & milk. Expect a freezer of fresh pork this time next month (procrastination & weather keeps them here longer than planned).

:hit I haven't even plowed with work day/rain days not coordinating.......very upsetting.:mad:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am very disappointed so far. Things are not growing as usual, but then again, we have had so much rain, gray days, and cooler temps. I read on a weather website that the northeast and mid Atlantic region will be dryer than usual and more 90+ days than usual this summer...upwards of 30+, 90+ degree days..