new section

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Could we do a new section called "Raising Animals Naturally" ?

It seems like we have enough interest in raising our animals without chemicals and grass feeding and natural remedies that it would go over well.

Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I am so tired of getting slammed on another forum for wanting to discuss anything natural, organic, holistic, herbal, or homeopathic in regards to goats. Maybe a section on "Sympathy without slamming" would be nice, too. :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I agree. It is getting pretty tough over at BYH to ask for advice on a more natural way or even organic (that word is a 4 letter word on BYH's goat section). I can cut the sarcasm with a knife and frankly I wont be visiting that site much more. Pointless IMO.

"If you build it they will come". I have talked to many friends here that gave up on BYH a long time ago because of the bully system that has been established against anything they consider unconventional. There happens to be many of us who want to sustainably, naturally and even organically raise our goats, sheep and cows. I think it falls under sufficientself's profile much better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why do we need that here on this site. They need it on BYH.
There is a mix of conventional use plus raising naturally here.
We all learn.

We don't fight over it...(mostly) LOL

Sympathy without slamming....I hear ya....so many want to oppose their personal views on others. Natural I guess. But BYH needs a section on natural raising.

I think most of us here are fine with what we handle on this fourm. We talk use of both and both are needed at times.

Oh BBH just said, maybe the BYH people wanting alternative methods would come here. OK I can see that.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the feeling is that some would like a section here because natural methods get slammed so badly at the other sites and it would be nice to have a devoted area for it here since we discuss it all over the place anyway.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Javamama nailed it, that was my thinking exactly. Since we are all adding new animals all the time it seems :rolleyes: me included, that it would be nice to see what others do when managing them naturally. I think Farmerchick has a good point, we can see that from Quail's experience with her flock recently. She didn't want to use chemicals but there is a time and place for everything and she had to use it when things got crazy.

A lot of us want to go to chemicals or vaccines as a last resort. I think that since we do talk about it all over that a devoted section WITHOUT SLAMMING would be appropriate. Once again, we all just have to be on our best behavior.... :duc

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I agree. It is getting pretty tough over at BYH to ask for advice on a more natural way or even organic (that word is a 4 letter word on BYH's goat section). I can cut the sarcasm with a knife and frankly I wont be visiting that site much more. Pointless IMO.
This maybe a stupid question because I'm a newbie here.....but what site is BYH?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
big brown horse said:
This maybe a stupid question because I'm a newbie here.....but what site is BYH?
Sorry my friend, not a stupid question at all. I think we have all asked it at one point. :p This forum has sister fourms BackYardChickens (byc), TheEasyGarden (teg) and BackYardHerds (byh). If you look down at the bottom of the screen, you can click onto the forum of your choice. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
big brown horse said:
Backyard herds, link at bottom right of your screen.